Would 4 gigs be worth it?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi All,

This question is for my neighbor. He is asking if it is worth the upgrade from 2 1 gig sticks of RAM to 4x1gig sticks of RAM. He is a major, major gamer.

This is for his Vista Ulitmate 64bit machine (4400+x2AMD)

On a side note, I gave him one of my 36gig raptors to use in that machine as his primary HD. I haven't used them in sooo long, they are just sitting up on a shelf. WOW, I forgot how loud that thing was, and now with vista, that HD is always spinning continuously. Sounds like metal to pavement grinding contact. I LUVZ IT!!!!

Heeter

If he's a major gamer, 2GB of ram isn't his bottleneck; it's that processor. The only game that even pushes the 2GB I have on my machine is Crysis, which goes up to 1.2GB usage.

If he's a major gamer, 2GB of ram isn't his bottleneck; it's that processor. The only game that even pushes the 2GB I have on my machine is Crysis, which goes up to 1.2GB usage.

Awesome thanks for the info.

He has that sidebar cpu/ram meter going on his machine and it is always at 50% RAM usage, so he was thinking of lowering it by purchasing more ram.

Thanks again,

Heeter

no point in 4gb unless hes going to use 64bit as winxp/vista 32bit can only see up to 3.25gb

guess i missed that :p - far too much on here, plus when you click new it takes you to the newest msg in the thread :p so no i never seen it :D

Awesome thanks for the info.

He has that sidebar cpu/ram meter going on his machine and it is always at 50% RAM usage, so he was thinking of lowering it by purchasing more ram.

Thanks again,

Heeter

Oh wow. I'm not familiar with vista too much and didn't realize that. Right now, with just my usual stuff open and Firefox eating ~90 MB, I'm at 712. I guess with Vista or Vista 64 it could easily bump up another 250MB or so.

If his default programs are using that much memory, it would be useful if playing Crysis or games on the horizon (Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect)

Awesome, thanks again, Petros.

Will let him know then. Yeah his RAM is at 50% all the time, but his cpu idles along at 4-10%.

I am pretty sure he wants to get more ram anyways, I think it is a chest-thumping, look at me thing for him.

Heeter

the ram is high as it is always being cached, windows vista does what Linux does and throws everything it thinks you may need/want into mem as its faster to load, my ram is always up around the 40-50% range, he could always turn off superfetch and the mem would drop back down, and it would manage the mem like XP does, but on vista im not sure if that's advised

Last edited:
well i have 4x1gb in here and its running fine - did you install sp1 standalone or sp1 dvd ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back