Worst system specs?

Does a TRS-80 count as IBM compatible?

My very first PC was a TRS- 80 (lovingly called Trash 80's) color computer with 16K (yep that's K) of RAM. Up until a couple of years ago I still had a TRS-80 Model III with the two 5 1/4" drives and 32K of RAM and B&W monitor all in one unit. I'm sure its making somebody a great boat anchor now. Perhaps thats going back too far. hmm?

I found a Compaq Presario 633 at the thrift store the other day for $3.98

Got it home and it worked...
486 overdrive
33mhz
8megs ram 4 onboard
242meg harddrive
Win3.1
along with the standard 5.25" floppy and 3.5" floppy
and a modem

Now it been upgraded
2 8meg sticks
4.3gig harddrive,,, I cheated
2x Creative cd rom with cd caddy
Sound Blaster pro sound and cd controller
Win3.11 with tcp/ip
and a SMC 10base network card

I have it as part of the network and can even get on the net with Netscape4.08,,, but the pages load slower than a 56k modem... :D...
Did I mention how good the net looks with 16colors?

BARGAIN!

That would make a very nice internet gateway.

Or if you want to use it as a client, I can tell you how to get it going very well in DOS or Win3 for browsing, email etc.

but Linux is probably the way to go.. (am I allowed to say that here? :p)

i have an old 486 dx 33 with 4mb ram, and a 50mb hard drive. not even a cd drive :-( and windows 95 runs on it but you have to install from floppy, hours later you have almost an operating system....

--Nick--

Yeah a bargain!!! Less than $40 and I have a top of the line state of the art computer... At least for 1993...

I'm just gonna leave it in the corner with the "Windows 3.1" screen saver going... A conversation piece or computer for people coming over wanting to use mine :D...

I've found myself leaving mine and going to it to surf...

Sinclair

I know it's not IBM/PC compatible, but I still have my first computer ever.. a Sinclair ZX-80.. and I have my "Enterprise" running. I reckon my kitchen-timer is faster than any of these "kick-a$$"-systems... :)

Re: Sinclair

Originally posted by Mr-Q
I know it's not IBM/PC compatible, but I still have my first computer ever.. a Sinclair ZX-80.. and I have my "Enterprise" running. I reckon my kitchen-timer is faster than any of these "kick-a$$"-systems... :)
Hell, I don't even remember that one.

Originally posted by nick1gbr
i have an old 486 dx 33 with 4mb ram, and a 50mb hard drive. not even a cd drive :-( and windows 95 runs on it but you have to install from floppy, hours later you have almost an operating system....

--Nick--

hahaa, I remember the good old install from floppies. I wonder how many floppies WinXP would be....300? 400? And of course you would get to disk 378 and "Error reading from disk. Please try again" :D

If I ever get really bored I'll try spanning XP to floppies...

u seem pretty bored thinking of that idea =P

and trying to span xp to floppies would probably cost u more that to actually buying the cd =)

I have
PII 350 MHz
320 MB RAM
8 GB Generic HD
15" Compaq MV500 Monitor
ISA Creative AWE64 Soundcard
nVidia Geforce2 MX 400

This is my only computer and what I use regularly.
:cool:

I have dos 6.02 on a floppy somewhere... hmmmm... I wonder what I should do with it?

IBM IBM IBM

Alright guy here that I work with just gave me two computers. They are both original IBM's each with a separate monitor. One monitor has a GREEN display and the other one has an ORANGE display! I loved these things!!! I'm going to take them both home and make something out of them...maybe an eggtimer?

Actually going to use the Green one as a "dumb Terminal" for my kitchen and use the ORANGE one to scroll news and such on it.....yea yea....I've got wayy to much time....yada yada

They still have the original 5 1/4 disk that has all of the programs, 16k of memory, and when you boot up......Basic.......

:D owwwwww Screamin' Machine! :D

Hax

Actually those monochrome monitors were much higher resolution than any colour one for a LONG time. The CGA/EGA/VGA came and went. It took the SuperVGA to match it.
And I know places where they are still used today.
(It might not be the same as what you have. These are "Hercules Monochromes".

Originally posted by MiseryQ
If I ever get really bored I'll try spanning XP to floppies...

You could always just use winrar to compress it from CD to hard disk in 1.4meg spans. It wouldn't take very long.

Originally posted by dreamliner77
I have dos 6.02 on a floppy somewhere... hmmmm... I wonder what I should do with it?

BURN IT!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back