• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Worst system specs?

A

avsdotcom

I was round a mates earlier, and he had dug out his old Pentium 133, 16 MB Ram, 500MB HDD (lol). After reading a few posts about people's high spec pc's, I was wondering who has the worst system that they actually still use regularly ? Now there's a chance for those who are, shall we say, less well endowed in the pc department, to have their moment of glory :D

K

kingnothing

I set up some 33Mhz, with 8MB Ram and 200MB hard drives running Win 3.1 at my high school's writing center a few years ago. I visited last a few months ago, and they still have them running along with a nice copy of Office 95 for students wishing to use Word.

The rest of the computers are macs. I forgot the model numbers, but they are the ones that look like a monitor sitting on a set-top box with only a floppy drive.

I had a 486DX2-66 with 4MB of RAM and a 420MB drive last year. I traded it for 2 packs of Camel Lights.

A

avsdotcom

"I had a 486DX2-66 with 4MB of RAM and a 420MB drive last year. I traded it for 2 packs of Camel Lights."

Lol, 2 packs, was he stupid or what ? I would have only given 1 pack , and possibly a box of matches if pushed ;)

K

kingnothing

He had to have been stupid, or desperate for a paperweight. The 2x CD-ROM didn't work, and neither did the floppy drive. Oh yeah, it was also a Packard Bell.

E

elkinm

I still have my mombo and 486DX 33 MHz processor. Fist comuter I ever used. My dad bought it for workstations and it was top of the line at the time with a whoping 4 MB of ram and a 220 MB hard drive. Those were the days. It could render an image in few minutes that the profetional CAD workstations at work would take half an hour to do.

I upgraded to a AMD 586 133, Pentium 133, AMD K6 200 and an AMD K6-3 366, all with the same computer case, diferent motherboard and hardware though. I copied the data from the old HD to a partition of one of my current drives as those old programs are still quite nice in dos. Now I have a new case, but I still use the very same flopy drive from so long ago and the old AT case is still quite functional. Talk about a good product lifetime.

xsivforce

Prodigal Son
I still have a Macintosh Classic works great
CPU speed: 8 Mhz
motherboard RAM: 1 MB
maximum RAM: 4MB
ROM: 512 k
bus speed: 8 Mhz
Floppy: 1.4 MB SuperDrive
HD: 40 MB
Monitor: 1 bit (Black & White) 512x342
Sound Output: mono 8 bit

and 2 Mac LC's both still work
CPU speed: 16 Mhz
motherboard RAM: 2 MB
maximum RAM: 10 MB
ROM: 512 k
bus speed: 16 Mhz
Floppy: 1.44 MB SuperDrive
HD: 40-80 MB
Display: 4-bit (16 color) at 640x480 or 8-bit (256 color) at 640x400
Sound Output: mono 8 bit (built-in speaker)

Akash

OSNN Senior Addict
still got a amstrad 286 running
8mhz i think it is?
cant remember.
stays in loft and i only turn it on when i need to as its uptime on win3.0 is very bad :)
use it to play mainly pacman (the classic one)

never been formatted either, running the same 30mb harddisk, with the same 5 1/4 fdd and factory win3.0

JJB6486

Retired Mod
Political User
I have piled in the basement:

8Mhz IBM 286 - dont know anytihng else bout this one)

Apple IIe - Monochrome green CRT monitor, dual 5.25 floppy drives.

Macintosh Plus - 8MHz 68000, External SCSI Hard Drive, ImageWriter Dot Matrix Printer

Macintosh Performa 6116CD - 60MHz PowerPC 601 (the first mac to use a PPC chip, was top of the line when i got it in '94), Color StyleWriter Inkjet printer, 14" AppleScan monitor

JJB6486

I

insaNity

I have a old 8086 Toshiba "laptop":

-It is like 3 times the size/wight of a modern latop
-no hard disk (just 720k floppies)
-4.77Mhz (yes they used to measure to 2 decimal places back then)
-512k RAM (1/2 a meg)
-DOS 3.0
-Modem: 2400 baud (0.24 k/sec)

It costed something like $10,000 when the company I got it from first purchased it.

AND, I found a use for it - It serves a good purpose for configuring car computers via the serial port. It will probably out live my current system. LOL.

I also have a pentium 75 That works perfectly well as an Internet server (I know someone that uses a 386 for the job).

And a 486 that serves as a stereo playing MP3's over the network in DOS :p

M

m[oo]d

My father still have a working old computer , 3000$ CAN in 1984

Tandy 1000
1.77 mhz
40mb hd
2 5ΒΌ floppies
640k ram

Akash

OSNN Senior Addict
roaming in the lof tmore i actually found something even older than my 286 there

im not sure if its a pc or a laptop
the brand on it is 'hyperion'
it has no harddisk, 2x5 1/4 fdd drives and what looks like a 4 or 5" screen
its all built into one another
the keyboard slides out under the screen and drives
has a handle at the top too so im guessing its a laptop
the screen has green text

doesnt work for anything but one game called circus which runs of that 5/14 drive

weird thing but i never did and still havnt found out what the purpose was of that machine

I

insaNity

hehe ok thats a good one

I like the "im guessing its a laptop" It's a bit like that with mine(hence the "laptop") :)

I just remembered another pc I had. It was an Amstrad; also an 8086 4.77Mhz. It had an external battery compartment (just like a walkman) to put AA's in to keep the BIOS/clock settings :eek:

Akash

OSNN Senior Addict
lol yup
the 2286= you had to turn over and store 4xaa batteries
it would run out after 2months or so

heh this brings back so much memories

D

Druce

i'm thinking of roaming some garage sales here to find something like a 286 or 386 to put dos on it, just to do a little relearning and playing around... i think they (older pc's) have some purpose... and they are good door stops too :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies