Working processes

stuball

OSNN Newbie
I was told I have too many processes running (86)

I'd like to know what processes I can set to off or manual

If I'm not using the touch pad can I turn off
ApMsgFwd.exe, ApntEX.exe, Apoint.exe, & hidfind.exe

If I'm not using the roxio right now can I turn off
CPSHelpRunner.exe or Roxwatchtray9.exe

I see csrss.exe is for user control and I guess that need to be running

If I am using a wireless router for my wireless internet
do I need DLG.exe?

I'm guessing I need dwm.exe and justsched.exe to be running all the time as with lxdiamon (my printer) and all of the mcafee processes and my roboform processes

If I'm not using any media (cd,dvd playing or other "entertainment"
do I need ehmsas.exe or ehtray.exe or wmpnscfg.exe ?

I think I need explorer.exe, Ieuser.exe and iexplore.exe, on, right?

What about FlashUtil9d.exe ? If I turn it off will the flash player still work when needed?

What do I need GoogleUpdater.exe (of course I know what Google is) for ?

Do I need issch.exe running all the time?

Do I need mobsync.exe running?

What about unsecapp.exe

Thanks so much for any information!

Stu

most of them seem OK, i would run some anti virus and spyware tools to see if there is anything there that shouldn't be, hijack this is a good tool and will show you what is set to start when windows is

thanks for the info on hijack this. but am i correct as to what some of those processes are for and can i turn off the ones i indicated?

If I'm not using the touch pad can I turn off
ApMsgFwd.exe, ApntEX.exe, Apoint.exe, & hidfind.exe - should be ok

If I'm not using the roxio right now can I turn off
CPSHelpRunner.exe or Roxwatchtray9.exe - should be ok

I see csrss.exe is for user control and I guess that need to be running - leave it running

If I am using a wireless router for my wireless internet
do I need DLG.exe?

I'm guessing I need dwm.exe and justsched.exe to be running all the time as with lxdiamon (my printer) and all of the mcafee processes and my roboform processes

dwm.exe - is required
justsched - javea updater - can be turned off

If I'm not using any media (cd,dvd playing or other "entertainment"
do I need ehmsas.exe or ehtray.exe or wmpnscfg.exe ? - yes should be ok, they will reappear when you next use media centre

I think I need explorer.exe, Ieuser.exe and iexplore.exe, on, right? - leave explorer.exe you need that - the other two will disappear when you close internet explorer

What about FlashUtil9d.exe ? If I turn it off will the flash player still work when needed?

What do I need GoogleUpdater.exe (of course I know what Google is) for ?

Do I need issch.exe running all the time?

Do I need mobsync.exe running?

What about unsecapp.exe

the rest you can leave as is - shouldn't hurt, although some people say to leave them alone, if they aren't being used they shouldn't show up or take up much mem, 86 does seem high though

Why do you want to turn them off?
Contrary to what people may say or you may read about turning off processes to improve performance the fact is that this does little in the way of improving system performance. If you really want to improve performance then buy more ram.

unless he means killing them from task manager, i have 52 processes running but that's with firefox open, encodes going, irc, msn, so 86 does seem rather high

Yes I mean killing them in task manager. Why have a process open and working if I don't need it. Surely if I "shut them offf" I've got to save some resources.

the number of processes running certainly affects performance. but you should go further than just ending them through task manager every time you boot. start by googling each one and finding out what they are associate with and what they do, exactly. then go about taking things out of the startup folder, registry (careful here), and services (careful here, too) that you don't need to start up in the first place.

things like googleupdater.exe (which i think is a google toolbar process) are a waste of memory, in my opinion. google toolbar is pretty useless and likely got installed on accident while you were installing something else. i'm surprised how many programs out there try to sneak it in. go to add/remove programs and uninstall it if you don't use it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back