WordPerfect Office X3

DanDaMan

OSNN Newbie
Several Weeks ago I was having an annoying problem with Win XP and LeeJend gave me some very useful advise and I used his solution on a few occasions, but I was still curious as to why every so often I would get the message when I rebooted my PC that "Since Windows was activated,there has been changes that require you to re-activate Windows".

Since I did not replace, change or add any new hardware in my system it had my curiosity going. I started to think back when this issue began to occur and the only thing that I could think of was 2 pieces of software I had purchased recently. 1 was WP X3 Standard and the other was Ulead Video Studio 9.

I had been running the OEM version of Ulead VS 8 but decided to buy the full retail version. I knew that could not have been the problem, since I had been running ver 8 for over a year with out any issues with Windows, so I looked at WP. I decided to install it on an Aopen Open Book 1545 laptop that I use as an emergency backup PC should my main PC (which is an Athlon 64 3700+ with an Epox MB) have hardware problems.

I have had this laptop for close to 3 years and other than updating / installing Windows service packs, I am running AVG on it, so basically the OS is a basic install. Right after installing WP X3 and rebooting it, guess what I got - I had to re-activate Windows. I re-activated it and I then tried another experiment and opened WP to create a new document, saved it and then closed it.

Rebooted the laptop and got the message again and again I re-activated Win XP. At this point I was sure that the root of the problem was with having WP installed, so when I un-installed it, I got the message again and re-activated Win XP again. So I then uninstalled it from my main PC, and yes, I got the Re-activate Windows again, but since my re-activation and removal of WP X3, I have not had this issue again.

Now, I am not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that it was the OEM version of WP X3, but I am not going to try downloading the trial version from Corel and go through the re-activation issue again. As a note, back in Win 98 days, I had purchased WP 2000 which I think was WP 8, and it had an interesting problem with it where if you had WP 8 open and you wanted to print something else from another app or from the internet, you would get the message that the printer was busy or un-available. If you closed WP, there were no printing problems.

I just wanted to share my findings in case someone else is having this problem and can not figure out why they have to re-activate Win XP frequently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back