woohoo just got a Wii

ElementalDragon, could you tell me which stores around you currently have PS3's in stock? I've heard Costco in some places have a limited supply. Also, if you are considering buying a Wii, maybe you should wait for the second version of the Wii, which will play DVD's.

source - http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732730p1.html

but like the article says, it will not be able to play hollywood movies.

If I say buy it and you dont like it ? Its not a bad game like I said but I dont know what you like and dont in a game...if you like an arcade style golf you might like this game , its not super difficult but has enough options to make it fun, has things like powershot and other special moves you will gain eith experience.

ElementalDragon, could you tell me which stores around you currently have PS3's in stock? I've heard Costco in some places have a limited supply. Also, if you are considering buying a Wii, maybe you should wait for the second version of the Wii, which will play DVD's.

source - http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732730p1.html

but like the article says, it will not be able to play hollywood movies.

Where in that article does it say the Wii will play DVD's?

Did you look at the date of the article before posting?

seriously. not one thing in there says "a later-coming Wii will be able to play a DVD". it flat out says that the Wii will not play DVD's due to the fact that the majority of people already have a DVD player. and what the hell else would it play OTHER than Hollywood DVD's? bootlegs? kinda weird statement to make if you ask me.

Oh.... and the store i'm talking about that has PS3's in stock is my local Wal-Mart (Lehighton, PA). think i've even seen some somewhat local Gamestops and EBGames have them.... but haven't been to either of those in a little while.

alby, that's exactly what i was about to ask him. been thinkin about gettin that game for a while now, but i, too, have heard mixed reviews about it. some saying it's fun, some saying it kinda get's a little old quick. heard the same about Elebits too. and someone had actually traded in FarCry: Vengeance at the GameStop out in Trexlertown, PA.... so i don't think i'ma touch that one for a little while, if at all.

Vanq: yes, it may serve as a BluRay player....... but what if BluRay as a format takes a tank? you'll see BluRay movies pretty much disappear, and premiums for the games skyrocket just as fast.
I believe Blu-Ray will prosper over HD-DVD,
It is better in every way...

explanation? from what i've heard BluRay is basically a DVD with a higher storage capacity using same old DVD compression, where as HD DVD uses a new form of compression able to deliver the same quality footage with less physical space.

Blu-Ray is a new format that will require retooling and/or construction of new disc manufacturing and replication plants. HD-DVD uses a format similar to existing DVD disc structure so it will require minimal upgrading and retooling of existing DVD disc manufacturing and replication plants.

Blu-Ray is a new format that will require retooling and/or construction of new disc manufacturing and replication plants. HD-DVD uses a format similar to existing DVD disc structure so it will require minimal upgrading and retooling of existing DVD disc manufacturing and replication plants.
Im almost 100% positive that Dragon got them mixed up.

Also, yeah that is the issue zombie, that blu-ray requires more work.
But the capacity is much greater, and the quality of blu-ray is much better.
Not to mention the entire movie industry is on Blu-Ray's side, as well as Dell, Samsung, HP, and about 50 other huge companies.
HD-DVD only a few supporters - Microsoft, Warner Brothers (No longer soley HD-DVD), and Buena Vista (No longer soley HD-DVD). In essence, only microsoft is backing the HD-DVD and that is because they don't like Sony...
The facts are there, the better format will prevail, Blu-Ray...

I dont think anyone can say right now which format will prevail as for the quality you wont see any difference at all unless you own a 1080p HDTV and that is not many people that go that way , so to benefit from the Blue Ray you need to spend a pile of cash on a TV that will show that quality.

There is not that great a diff in the end

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#hddvd

If you look you will see there is no real great difference between the two nothing that will make that much of a difference.

I dont think anyone can say right now which format will prevail as for the quality you wont see any difference at all unless you own a 1080p HDTV and that is not many people that go that way , so to benefit from the Blue Ray you need to spend a pile of cash on a TV that will show that quality.

There is not that great a diff in the end

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#hddvd

If you look you will see there is no real great difference between the two nothing that will make that much of a difference.
I have seen both, on 1080p screens side by side, playing the same High-Def movie. There was no comparison, the Blu-Ray movie simply blew the HD-DVD away.

Nintendo has yet to make a formal announcement about the new Wii, and has not indicated whether DVD playback is part of a console redesign.

For now it is only in Japan that the Wii has DVD playback and from what I have read on the Nintendo forum there are no plans yet to release that version in the USA.

DVD Playback for U.S. Wii Coming
It looks like we'll be getting a DVD-playing Wii after all.
By Li C. Kuo | Nov. 14, 2006

Not too long ago, Nintendo revealed that it would be releasing a version of the Wii that will support DVD video playback in Japan, but made no mention of whether or not this upgraded console would make it to US shores. Now it looks like we'll be getting this enhanced Wii after all. Nintendo has confirmed that a Wii with DVD playback support will make its way to the States, and said that the price would be increased as a result of the added features.

The Wii DVD playback support is being handled by Sonic Solutions, the same guys behind the Roxio CD and DVD burning software. It will be using this company's CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator to play DVDs. This DVD-capable version of the Wii is expected to arrive in the States in the latter half of next year, which is around the same time Japan is expected to receive them. Nintendo has told us that the cost of this newer Wii will be higher than the current $249 price tag.

We asked Nintendo if this version of the Wii would feature any other hardware upgrades, such as a digital optical audio output for Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Their reply was, "There is no new info on new capabilities regarding audio." We'll keep you posted on new developments.

http://wii.gamespy.com/articles/745/745955p1.html

If its not gonna have an HD player, there is no point.

i don't think thats true van, adding all these extra features and making the wii more expensive, is totally negating the reason for the wii's existence, which is a pure gaming machine, and nothing else.

i don't think thats true van, adding all these extra features and making the wii more expensive, is totally negating the reason for the wii's existence, which is a pure gaming machine, and nothing else.
No, i meant there is no point in waiting...
I agree, i think that adding a dvd player and some more features will simply overprice it and make the wii sell less...
Im gonna get it before the new version comes out, possibly i will wait if i can get a set price on the new version, and if it comes out with a hd player...
That is the ONLY circumstance of which i would wait. But i most likely won't because an hd-player will only add like 200 bucks to the wii, which defeats its purpose...
I dont care about hdd space or anything, and i dont see any other possible upgrades that are worthwhile...
When i can get a wii, ill get a wii :)

yeah.... i could care less about anything HD as long as the games are fun, which they are. i can't wait to get Wii Play. might wait to get that instead of getting Super Swing Golf. and for the same reason as it was said in the other news article that was posted..... who cares about a DVD player feature of the Wii? we already have DVD players in 99% of homes and in 99% of computers..... so what's the point? keep the price low, to where everyone likes it, and where it's easy to say "i'm getting a 360 and a Wii" or "I'm getting a PS3 and a Wii" (although probably not much of the latter is said).

Van: if i remember correctly.... i think Universal sided with HD DVD..... and that's one HUGE movie production company if you ask me. Think they're bigger than WB and Buena Vista.... though i could be wrong. Oh... and i think that the whole "Sony backing Blu-Ray, MS backing HD DVD" thing.... is mostly because of the fact that they don't want the hardware that they spent so much time making going down the tubes..... but it could also be a " side A hates side B" kinda affair too.....

HD-DVD support
Paramount
Warner Bros.
Universal Studios

Blu-ray support
Paramount
Warner Bros.
Disney (Buena Vista)
Fox
Lionsgate
MGM
Sony Pictures

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/studios.php
Yeah that about sizes it up :)

However Universal now goes for both...
also, i think it is a side a vs side b thing.
Since MSFT didnt develop the HD-DVD, you could be talking about the xbox360 vs ps3, but the xb360 doesn't come with hd drive so...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back