wont detect blank media :@

FishBoy

Feeeesh
aah my mobo has gone craazy, it's not detecting any blank media from my optical drive, i tried using my roomate's optical drives too and still when i insert a blank cd or dvd i double click on it from my computer i get an err msg saying "incorrect function", i took my dvd burner to the computer shop and my nec was fine so my motherboard is the problem, and there are a couple of other things that aren't working correctly too, like my cpu fan can't be controlled with SpeedFan anymore, i checked the bois, cool'n'quiet is on and Q-Fan control is enabled, bios is up-to-date, all cables are plugged in right, how can i get my mobo to see blank media :(:(
merci in advance

Delete the IDE controller from Device Manager and reboot. Let Windows reinstall the IDE driver

aaaa still dones't work i uninstalled secondary IDE and reinstalled rebooted and still doesn't see the blank CD "incorrect function" is the error msg i get

First question is:

What have you screwed with since your system was working?

-The new M$ securtity patches? System restore to before patches.
-Added new software? Uninstall it and restore system to prior date.
-Electrical storms, power surge? Your MB CMOS settings may have gotten corrupted. Make sure drives are set to auto detect in bios.
-Consider reseting bios to defaults or a CMOS reset.

If your HD andOptical drives are reading data the MB and drives are ok. Response to media detection is a driver/software function.

LeeJend said:
First question is:

What have you screwed with since your system was working?

-The new M$ securtity patches? System restore to before patches.
-Added new software? Uninstall it and restore system to prior date.
-Electrical storms, power surge? Your MB CMOS settings may have gotten corrupted. Make sure drives are set to auto detect in bios.
-Consider reseting bios to defaults or a CMOS reset.

If your HD andOptical drives are reading data the MB and drives are ok. Response to media detection is a driver/software function.
well i can play dvd movies on it it just won't see any blank stuff, i think this happened since i put a blank DVD+R DL, i got the err msg with that blank dvd and ever since it wouldn't detect blank media, no i dont think it's anything i installed coz i dont think i installed anything since then :(

The CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device
To make sure that the CD-R drive or the CD-RW drive is recognized as a recordable drive, make sure that the Recording tab appears in the CD drive properties:
1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
2. Right-click the CD-R drive or the CD-RW drive, click Properties, and then look for the Recording tab.
Source
omg i feel so stupid now that was my problem right ther, not the mobo, not the drive, the OPERATING SYSTEM... doh
thx hipster for the link rep coming to you :D

FishBoy said:
omg i feel so stupid now that was my problem right ther, not the mobo, not the drive, the OPERATING SYSTEM... doh
thx hipster for the link rep coming to you :D

If the was teh problem, uninstalling the IDE channel should've solved it when it had to autodetect to reinstall. Are you sure the drive is being picked up correctly in the BIOS?

dreamliner77 said:
If the was teh problem, uninstalling the IDE channel should've solved it when it had to autodetect to reinstall. Are you sure the drive is being picked up correctly in the BIOS?
no i tried that it didn't do anything i uninstalled it rebooted and still nothing but i went to the drive properties and enabled cd recording and it worked

Does the BIOS detect it as a CDRW drive with the correct model # and firmware?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back