Wondering bout new intel chip

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Amd is coming out with a new chip soon, correct?
I have two questions, is that chip worth buying and also is Intel coming out with a new chip to combat the AMD chip?
Thanks a lot,
Jack

Well, the next few months will be really interesting in the CPU world. Intel is releasing the Conroe chip, which according to early bench's is a really quick chip. Way faster than anything else out right now, AMD included. Now, we don't know anything else about the chip such as watt dissipation.

AMD is going to release their AM2 socket which will use DDR2, early benches show hardly any performance increase. However DDR2 800 (I think?) has yet to hit mainstream which the new AMD's will support. Remember, they have on board memory controllers. The AM2 platform is more of a launchpad for new stuff coming down the road.

So, at this point.. unless AMD pulls a magic trick out of their ass Intel is going to beat them this round. As a huge AMD fan this is a bit disappointing.... but this is pure speculation. I hope for the best, with the technology rumored on the net about the "reverse hyper threading" AMD might just have the figurative magic trick :D

Hmm...
Thanks, I also am a huge AMD fan,
I ask because i am wondering if it is logical to buy some intel stock...
Thanks

I am a HUGE fan of whoever gives me the best speed at the most reasonable price. Been on AMD since they have been ahead of Intel in the gaming department, switched from ATI to NVidia when the 7800GT came out, and before that, I switched from NVidia to ATI when the 9700 Pro beat the pants off my Geforce-4 4200.

Brand loyalty is nothing. Quality is everything. I am nobody's fanboy.

I have been using AMD for 9 years, and I am never looking back. Call me a fanboy, call me biased I dont care. I defended them through the tough times and celebrated through the good times but I will remain loyal to the company I have grown to love. They have evolved and come a long way in the last decade.

That being said..... I might buy an Intel chip when they come out. But it really depends on price and heat... and all that. I hope, that I dont have to buy an Intel.

Intel's conroe chips coming out soon are faster than anything AMD will have available this year (most places have it faster by ~20%!) Not much AMD can do about it now. AM2 is nothing to write home about initially since the CPU's are still the same K8 cores just with the DDR2 capability. But DDR2 has higher latency which doesn't help the AMD chips.

If the rumors of the next gen AMD cores are true, the K8L may be enough to take on Intel's Conroe. But, most of my sources don't have the K8L coming out until sometime early to mid 2007. It is assumed that the K8L will be using the AM2 socket (at least on the desktop side of the house) - I think AMD will piss off a lot of people if they switch again to a different sockent with the K8L.

Most of the "information" about the specs on the K8L is speculation at this point since AMD hasn't talked that much about it yet.. but I'm sure some of the info has some root in truth.

Sockets change regularly.

You just have to live with it.

So, the bottom line, is Intel the stock to buy right now?

Its too bad, AMD is a much better company in my opinion...
However i think stock sounds good to buy, anyone else?

They say Microsoft is the stock to buy right now, for obvious reasons.

Their profit is below expectations, they might be in for a bit of a lull.

I would probably have been investing in stocks if I was you m8 :)

madmatt said:
They say Microsoft is the stock to buy right now, for obvious reasons.

ROFLMFAO
M$haft is down 11.38% today (were $27 last night $24 now). They are not meeting analysts expectations.

Intel has been in the crapper since Dec 2003. It's at $20 marked down from $33. No releif in sight.

Stay away from AMD also. Their stock is way up but grossly overpriced for the earnings they can generate.

The PC industry has generally been depressed for the last 18 months. It is a cyclical business and everybody has already upgraded. Aside from us techie nerds here nobody wants to upgrade right now unless their old PC is dying. The comments I hear most are:

"Upgrade? Why, my current computer is fast for everything I do with it."
"I upgraded by a factor of 2 and can't tell any difference."

It takes a must have, resource hungry new application (application, not operating systems) to drive computer upgrades. Desktops being replaced by laptops is where the business growth model is and current generation laptops don't need faster new chips, they need 3 times more battery life.

The demand for faster chips will come when enough people have bought cut rate systems with Vista installed and get tired of the slow performance. That's 12-18 months away. The stock market prices stocks at valuation 6 months ahead. That means Intel and M$ won't be selling much through the end of the year.

Last edited:
BUt i should buy more intel now then... Ibought 800 shares of it already a while back but its 20 now so shouldn't i buy now then sell when its high?
Also you say microsoft is the one to buy...
What is it at now?

Businesses typically have a 3 year computer cycle.

Computers simply don't last forever.

Stocks-wise, I have a friggin BROAD portfolio lol.

lol,
we all missed out though, last february (05) intel, amd, and nvidia were all 20 pts lower than they are now :(
we should have bought them!
Im hoping the cycle again.

I wonder should we change the name to Stocks and put this in the green room?

LeeJend said:
ROFLMFAO
M$haft is down 11.38% today (were $27 last night $24 now). They are not meeting analysts expectations.

But that would be the reason to buy today - because they had such a large drop. That big of a drop is probably a little bit over market overreaction resulting in an undervalued price of the stock. Microsoft stock is most likely going to recover.

I agree, but i am wondering, microsoft seems to be the same it was 6 months ago, when was this drop you are talking about?
I know it dropped a long time ago but...

Vanquished said:
I agree, but i am wondering, microsoft seems to be the same it was 6 months ago, when was this drop you are talking about?
I know it dropped a long time ago but...
It dropped 11.38% to 24.15 today:

msft0ah.png

However, as fitz pointed out, it might be one of the best times to buy because it's undervalued right now and should pick up again soon. MSFT is more of a "safe" one though; it doesn't have erratic highs and lows and has been relatively stable for a long time. GOOG, on the other hand, is up in the clouds, but it's a higher risk one because it's severely overvalued. AAPL is sort of in the middle. If you're good at the stock market game, there's big money to be made with the higher risk stocks, but you can also end up in deep sh*t if you're not alert. :D

Just don't put all your eggs in one basket, as they say. Take Sazar's advise and go for a broader spectrum. ;)

Wouldn't a good contrarian fund do the same thing for you?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back