WMP9 won't play AVIs

QuietMan

OSNN Newbie
Ok here is what happened. A few weeks ago I had installed a codecs pack (ACE mega CP).. After running into some problems I uninstalled this codec pack, but now Windows Media Player won't play any movie with avi format.. I'm going nutz trying to fix this, so far no luck...

None of my movie editing programs can open avi files since my system won't recognize this format anymore..

If any1 could help me out with this would be much appreciated.
Thanks...

Download WMP it will have all the codecs, also make WMA your defult player fro avi files.

unistall what you installed and get this..

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm get the k-lite codect pack the mega one has windows media player classic in it and the quicktime and realtime alternatives (play those formates within media player).

this is what i use and id swear by it.

drz01 said:
Download WMP it will have all the codecs, also make WMA your default player fro avi files.

I have tried this before, but just in case installed again with no luck
Here is what happened:

New installation:

wmp029oe.png

Opening avi movie:

wmp039la.png

Error:

wmp045rd.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zedric said:
I take it by .avi you mean divx or xvid movies? Codec packs often makea mess of things. I've noticed you only need a very few components toget by with most types of formats:

ffdshow: http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net (downloads: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=53761&package_id=59355)

ac3filter: http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/

I have all these codecs installed, no problems to encode a movie to avi format using VirtualDub.. My problem is I can not edit a movie..

Programs such as HT Video Editor 6.0, or Video Edit Magic 3 I use won't open anything with avi extension..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sraycoz said:
unistall what you installed and get this..

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm get the k-lite codect pack the mega one has windows media player classic in it and the quicktime and realtime alternatives (play those formates within media player).

this is what I use and id swear by it.

I have tried to reinstall codec packs but no improvement to my pain..

Thanks for all your help so far.

Sounds like your codec pack left a "gift" behind in the registry. It is pointing WMP to a missing codec file and the reinstall did not remove the bad entry.

You can try and find and remove the bad entry by:
1) doing a find in regedit looking for the name of the old pack (might find it) then remove entry. Soemwhat risky if operator is unskilled. Slow but free.
2) use regcleaner to look for the old codec pack name and remove it. Might work, safer/easier, free.
3) Get a copy of reg mechanic and use it to look for bad file extension keys. Most thorough, $29 utility.

why not use windows media player 10? or even better bs player plays everthing and it is included in the megga codec pack

LeeJend said:
Sounds like your codec pack left a "gift" behind in the registry. It is pointing WMP to a missing codec file and the reinstall did not remove the bad entry.

You can try and find and remove the bad entry by:
1) doing a find in regedit looking for the name of the old pack (might find it) then remove entry. Soemwhat risky if operator is unskilled. Slow but free.
2) use regcleaner to look for the old codec pack name and remove it. Might work, safer/easier, free.
3) Get a copy of reg mechanic and use it to look for bad file extension keys. Most thorough, $29 utility.

I have Registry Crawler, Complete Registry Cleaner, and RegVac all invalid keys are removed already.. Manual edit is too risky, coz i dunno w00t to search for...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

themafia_69 said:
why not use windows media player 10? or even better bs player plays everthing and it is included in the megga codec pack

I have a lot of players i can play avi with like VLC, Light Alloy, bs player, or even WMP classic.. Problem is when i try to use an editor like Movie Maker my system doesn't recognise avi flicks..

movie maker sucks monkey balls, use pinnacle, or any other one, seriously movie maker is the lowest quality one i have seen, as u can see in my sig i hate low quality, and maybe ure not using the latest version of movie maker, u might say u dont wanna buy any one since movie maker is free, but pinnacle is well worth the money, u can do many more things u could never do in movie maker

You might want to try some of what is mentioned in this MSKB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842180

A word of advise: Never install "codec packs" on your system. When they're installed, things seem fine. When the time comes to uninstall them for some reason, you're screwed. I've had friends IM me because their mp3's "stopped working" after they uninstalled these things.

themafia_69 said:
movie maker sucks monkey balls, use pinnacle, or any other one, seriously movie maker is the lowest quality one i have seen, as u can see in my sig i hate low quality, and maybe ure not using the latest version of movie maker, u might say u dont wanna buy any one since movie maker is free, but pinnacle is well worth the money, u can do many more things u could never do in movie maker

I would never use Movie Maker, i just set that as an example coz it looks u didn't read my first reply properly.

QuietMan said:
I have all these codecs installed, no problems to encode a movie to avi format using VirtualDub.. My problem is I can not edit a movie..

Programs such as HT Video Editor 6.0, or Video Edit Magic 3 I use won't open anything with avi extension..

BTW thaks for trying to help me..
Cheers..

ROFLMAO. Took me 4 years to figure out that the Windows Media Player acronym (WMP) would be pronounced "wimp". The M$ marketing guys sure screwed up that one.

Just bumping this thread, problem solved.. :)

I stopped looking WMP as a probable error.. Quickly put the answer was repearing the windows registry.. Since GSpot reported all codecs installed for playback of avi movie formats, i turned to look for a windows glitch...

I thought up a crazy idea and it worked :) I had a drive image backed up on a spare hard drive by DriveImage2002.. So i've restored my OS to an empty harddrive, booted it up and backed up the registry to an external USB hard drive.. Booted up from the damaged drive, merged the saved reg info with regedit and it worked perfect..

After that i've removed all unwanted shortcuts with a program called Registry Crawler.. Now i can view and edit avi's again... :)

All this caused by uninstalling a fricken codec-pack..
That's the last time i install anything like that again, only codec you ever need is ffdshow, and maybe XviD (freeware)..
Ah well lesson to be learned. lol

QM..

QuietMan said:
That's the last time i install anything like that again, only codec you ever need is ffdshow, and maybe XviD (freeware)..
Ah well lesson to be learned. lol
So true.
Thank you for posting your experience. Hope this will be a lesson for other people too. ;)

QuietMan said:
Ok here is what happened. A few weeks ago I had installed a codecs pack (ACE mega CP).. After running into some problems I uninstalled this codec pack, but now Windows Media Player won't play any movie with avi format.. I'm going nutz trying to fix this, so far no luck...

None of my movie editing programs can open avi files since my system won't recognize this format anymore..

If any1 could help me out with this would be much appreciated.
Thanks...
Download and install Windows Media Player 10, and install the K-Like Media Codec pack like the guy above said.

QuietMan said:
Yep, I'm all with you there. Codec packs make life troublesome. ;)
XviD is in ffdshow btw, so you don't need the extra codec for that.

Nighthawk-F117: You seriously missed the bump post, huh? ;)

Zedric said:
Yep, I'm all with you there. Codec packs make life troublesome. ;)
XviD is in ffdshow btw, so you don't need the extra codec for that.

Nighthawk-F117: You seriously missed the bump post, huh? ;)
Oopsy. :suprised:

I am happy to hear you got it fixed. I installed Cyberlink Power DVD Deluxe, so I don't have to worry about codec packs. Power DVD plays all the avi files etc .. Coded packs will mess your system up more than help it. The best thing to do is install only the ones you need individually ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back