WMP9 + SB Live problem+solution

J

JohnnyGreb

Not sure how usefull it might be but I figured I post it for anyone who runs into this.

I reinstalled XP Pro a couple weeks ago. As I normally do, I don't install the "real" drivers for my hardware until I actually need them. (Call me lazy :D ) A couple days later I installed Windwos Media Player 9 to try it out and to see if it was actually better than previous version. For the most part I'm happy with it. I'm going to keep it. Day before yesterday, I got around to installing the "real" drivers for my Sound Blaster Live card. (wanted surround sound for a DVD)
Well I went to play some MP3s shortly thereafter, and WMP9 complained about not being able to play them.

Here's what I got:
0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller. You may encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your sound device is in use by another program. Quit other programs that may be using your sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Your sound device is not functioning properly. To troubleshoot the problem, see the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows Help or refer to your sound device's documentation.
You do not have a sound device installed on your computer. Install a sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Error ID = 0xC00D11BA, Condition ID = 0x00000000
I also couldn't play wmv files with sound. Vidoe would work, but no sound.

Turns out the SB Live drivers apparently changes the default options for playback.
After racking my brain for about 30 minutes, I figured it out:

In WMP9, go to Tools -> Options...
Go to the Devices Tab
Select Speakers, then Properties
In "Audio device to use:" change it from "DirectSound:SB Live! Wave Device" to "Defaulft DirectSound Device"
Hit OK twice and it now works.

I'm sure there's another way to possibly fix this, but I figured I'd share this with everyone. I'm figuring that installing the drivers first would have prevented this problem. Hope this helps someone out there sometime even as a cautionary tale.

-JG

On behalf of everyone who experienced this problem: Thank you!
My next xomputer will include a SB Live! card and now I know what to do to avoid the problem. Thank you!

nice work there JohnnyGreb... I have an SB Live, and now I know how to sort it if it happens to me when I next format (within a week lol)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back