WMP11 Beta For XP Released

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Microsoft is releasing a Public Beta for WMP11 on May 17th, with a RTM to follow sometime in June.

Here is a list of features that will and will not be in the XP version:

Features in WMP 11 for XP (June 06):

* New UI
* Support for better synchronization for portable devices
* Album “stacks” of album art
* Indexed libraries with search-as-you-type features
* User controlled downgrade of quality for DRM content to allow for smaller files
* DRM content will contain metadata that shows what the user is allowed to do with the file
* Includes Microsoft and MTV’s Urge music store

http://bink.nu/Article7008.bink

Download link

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: WMP11 For XP Release Announced

Yay DRM yay \o/

Everytime I boot back into XP (and when I'm using my laptop on weekends), I miss WMP11.
They need to get this out ASAP. :D

nice, can't wait to try it out

that's cool enough :p
Cosmin

Here's a screenshot of the Vista version that I just grabbed from my 5365 setup. This is the new default view for the library. There are a bunch of other views too, all of which make extensive use of album art. It's really nice. :)

WMP11.jpg

Been checking out the leaked version today, still taking a look at it but one of the main features I loved in 10 does not seem to be there which has me pretty upset. I will get to that a little later.

Firstly the interface is similar with an obvious lack of the Vista transparency but it starts up very quickly with very little fuss.

wmp11_3.jpg

No problems with the interface their at all.
The library function has had a vast update and now displays in a different format, as we know from the Vista version

wmp11_1.jpg

When you minimise it and have the relevent taskbar option set you will also see an updated version of the toolbar tray application, hopefully it will work in x64 this time around as well:

wmp11_4.jpg

The database of music is now easiliy searchable based on track name or album artist and works instantly, very cool. Searching for a track title will also show the entire album:

wmp11_2.jpg

The issue I have is that I change alot of my music, if I have a double album I will change things so that they all appear under one entry as seen here:

wmp11_5.jpg

In 10 this was just a simple case of dragging and dropping and the relevent details would be updated. I don't seem to be able to do this in WMP11 and this is very frustrating for me. I really like to be incontrol of my music and these seems to be taking it away from me a little.

I listen to alot of music that you can't buy in the States, or even over here (the last CDs I purchased were imported from Iceland (weird) and Germany. They won't show up in the browser alot of the time so I really need to add custom entries, merge albums with as many details I could find - 10 was fantastic for this and I just can't do it at the moment in 11.

I am meeting with Microsoft in 2 weeks in Amsterdam, so I will be bringing this up.

At CES I was told that I should be able to play media directly from my MTP device onto my PC and I was really excited about this but then everything fell quiet. With the announcement of WMP11 for WindowsXP this week, I saw a similar bit of imfromation saying I would not only be able to play my normal media on my PC but also DRM content as well - sweet. So I was eager to try it out.

I was hoping to get into the beta for this application alot earlier as I had alot of great suggestions as well as many questions about the application itself.

wmp11_6.jpg

Well it shows a picture of my device which is cool, the same as the Vista version, but are the functions to play my media there? No. To be honest, I knew they wouldn't be. I follow the Creative forums alot and happen to know that Creative are not using many of the functions that MTP allows - so basically I can't play media directly from my device.

wmp11_7.jpg

It will let me simpyl sync media back to my PC though and thats new, it will let me sync DRM content as well but it won't let me play it directly, I need to login again and decrement my licence count which I have done already. Hopefully Creative can add those functions.

I really hope someone can tell me how to change the album a song is in via the interface, I really need that feature!

Last edited:

Ok well install at your own risk, I won't remove the links, if MS get them taken down from Flexbeta, pleae don't repost them.

I spoke to Bink who had just been to the US Expert Zone lab as he can't attend the one I will be going to, apparently the same issue I had above was addressed, but he couldn't remember the specifics, so I will try to ask Microsoft.

If anyone finds out in the meantime, please let me know.

Looks very cool, nice screenshots EP :)

Sorry for the link:suprised: I try only to help people to try some beta on the web:speechless:

Its ok mate, Microsoft can be quite touchy about their betas hitting the web.

There is another site, let's just call it, 9 down dot com, with a few interesting links related to this as well :rolleyes:

I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone has noticed the process wmplayer.exe spiking processor usage to use whatever is available at random intervals? It happens only sporadically.

Given that for the most part the usage usually bounces between 3% - 10% (depending on equalizer settings and the like), I'm not sure if it's the application itself or what.

Not been checking, but will take a look later.

Last edited:

Regarding merging albums quickly... heres my how to: (yes its not quite as nice as drag and drop though!)

Select all the files you wish to merge (use shift and or ctrl to select multiple files).

Open the advanced tag editor with them all selected, choose a file which has all the bits filled in you want... (right click then select it). Now tick all the boxes apart from things which are song specific (such as track name and no), once you apply this all the files will now have the same stuff filled in (while you are doing this you can fill in more fields if you wish)... they should also then merge.

Hope this helps Electronic Punk!

PM or email me if you have any problems.

Okay, when I post links here they are for osnn member/visitor usage only. If you want to post them on warp2search and othersites please drop me an email/pm asking me first!

I don't object, but I'd just like to be asked first...

Cool, I will have to check it out when i get home!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back