WMP running in the background

hotmale

OSNN Addict
Does anyone know why wmplayer.exe keeps on running in the background even when I'm not using it?

Does wmplayer.exe only start after you load WMP, or does it run on startup as well? If it only starts when you load WMP, does it always continue to run after you close the program?

Some trojans and malware disguise themselves as familiar processes, such as wmplayer.exe. While it's not likely, there's always a chance that could be the problem. If you haven't already, it wouldn't hurt to scan your system with AdAware and Spybot.

Thanks for the advice!
I find wmplayer.exe running (sometimes- not always) after I exit from WMP and not at start-up. I have Ad-aware, Spybot and NAV2004 with the latest defs but they caught nothing.

Is it possible that it's just trying to connect to the internet and update or something?

i think it is a virus, check the startup programs, start--->run---->msconfig and click on the start up tab, if wmplayer.exe is in there, then its probably a virus. had it on a friends pc and removed it, and thats what i think is happening in ur case, but im not sure since u said its not on start up

That's the first thing that came to my mind - that it's a virus. I scanned using NAV and I also looked in my startup but found nothing.
Thanks, themafia_69.

it used to happen to me soemtimes when i exit wmp the songs kept on playing but if the process just shows up then it's like muzikool said either trojan or malware

So most of you seem to think it's something malicious, but what can I do if NAV is unable to detect anything?

Well from my personal experience i wouldn't say it's anything malicious in anyway :cool: The only time that wmp will keep on playing once you've closed it is if explorer has crashed. wmp doesn't close properly, only the window

S'what happens to me anyway

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I'll try to scan using the 2 tools although I don't know how a trojan can get past my arsenal (SP2, NAV 2004, ZoneAlarm Pro and QwikFix :D ). If I don't find anything, it's probably (as Moonwraith said) nothing evil or harmful.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back