WMP running in the background

hotmale

OSNN Addict
Does anyone know why wmplayer.exe keeps on running in the background even when I'm not using it?

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
Does wmplayer.exe only start after you load WMP, or does it run on startup as well? If it only starts when you load WMP, does it always continue to run after you close the program?

Some trojans and malware disguise themselves as familiar processes, such as wmplayer.exe. While it's not likely, there's always a chance that could be the problem. If you haven't already, it wouldn't hurt to scan your system with AdAware and Spybot.

hotmale

OSNN Addict
Thanks for the advice!
I find wmplayer.exe running (sometimes- not always) after I exit from WMP and not at start-up. I have Ad-aware, Spybot and NAV2004 with the latest defs but they caught nothing.

Is it possible that it's just trying to connect to the internet and update or something?

Kush

High On Life!
i think it is a virus, check the startup programs, start--->run---->msconfig and click on the start up tab, if wmplayer.exe is in there, then its probably a virus. had it on a friends pc and removed it, and thats what i think is happening in ur case, but im not sure since u said its not on start up

hotmale

OSNN Addict
That's the first thing that came to my mind - that it's a virus. I scanned using NAV and I also looked in my startup but found nothing.
Thanks, themafia_69.

it used to happen to me soemtimes when i exit wmp the songs kept on playing but if the process just shows up then it's like muzikool said either trojan or malware

hotmale

OSNN Addict
So most of you seem to think it's something malicious, but what can I do if NAV is unable to detect anything?

Moonwraith

OSNN Veteran Addict
Well from my personal experience i wouldn't say it's anything malicious in anyway :cool: The only time that wmp will keep on playing once you've closed it is if explorer has crashed. wmp doesn't close properly, only the window

S'what happens to me anyway

hotmale

OSNN Addict
Thanks for your advice, everyone. I'll try to scan using the 2 tools although I don't know how a trojan can get past my arsenal (SP2, NAV 2004, ZoneAlarm Pro and QwikFix :D ). If I don't find anything, it's probably (as Moonwraith said) nothing evil or harmful.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jt707981