WMP "copy music" settings

H

Hockeyfan

I notice that in WMP XP Tools > Options > "Copy Music At This Quality" allows setting between "smallest size" and "best quality". Why wouldn't I want to choose "best quality"? Or is this similar to the "what speed should I burn at" debate. Thanx for any info.

Hey there,

Firstly, it's got nothing to do with burning as thats the end of a process in which you have to determine what quality you want to rip...so not really relevant.

The whole deal is just what quality sound you want which is directly proportional to the average size of a file. Eg I'm currently going through the process of ripping every cd i own on to my puter at 64k(CD quality in WMA) and that means most albums will be 28 megs which is very good. If i did that in 192k quality each album would be 86megs....and that is almost 3 times the size....i don't need that cause 64k is good for me as it sounds fine and they are only their for convenience to play whilst on puter(eg own real cd's).

Whereas if i copied a cd that i don't own and might want to burn i would prolly do the best quality in wma....however, realistically if i wanted to do this i'd really just do a straight iso or something at full wav level......

So it's really up to you and depends on how much room you have, how important the quality level is and what you plan to do with it.

Good luck :)

In the age of cheap hard drives.

We don't need to worry about sacrificing quality because of size.

You may not have the most whizz bang of speakers but trust me, there is a difference between 64k and 128k wma's.

64k isn't CD Quality on WMA... 96 is pseudo CD Quality.

But WMA is a poor choice of music format.

MP3 is far more useful through its large amount of use. WMA isn't that widely supported but you can get MP3 players a dime a dozen. Winamp =)

Search for the mp3 threads for the ideal program/codec to use.

When 40gig hard drives are this cheap, don't sacrifice quality for space.

true 64 wma is not optimum for something you don't own, as i said i only do that for copies. However, winamp seems to play them just fine, but you are right in that a high quality mp3 would be a bit better..... personally i can't afford to buy 40 gig harddrives at the drop of a hat, so size is a problem depending on what you have on your puter.....for example.....at 64k i have taken up a few gig already and i've barely dented my cd collection, not to mention the higher quality mp3's of stuff i don't own i do have and plan to get. If they were highest quality most my harddrive would be full within a week.

So, just weigh up what each song is worth to you and what you plan to do with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back