WMP codec plugins question

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi guys,

I would like to know where WMP keeps it's codec/plugins folder. Instead of installing one of those complete all-in-one codec packs, I would rather just install the right codec for my certain application to work.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Yeah, please don't install codec packs. If you end up having to uninstall them for some reason, they tend to cause all kinds of havoc.

WMP10 uses DirectShow codecs which are usually stored in the WINDOWS/system32 folder (mostly as .ax files). Most codecs that you need should come with some kind of installer anyway, so you don't need to place files manually in the folder.

Which codecs are you having trouble with, specifically?

Well, Nets

I would like to extract the one out of this freeware all-in-one codec pack (the file name of this is called 6001-in-1, I don't know what it is really called) that plays DVD's from my WMP. I do have WinDVD installed that came with my DVDburner, but it won't play some DVD's either. Only a select few. My friend said that he installed this codec pack and it plays DVD's on his WMP.

To tell you the truth, I don't know which does the trick, but I guess I was going to try a few.

What do you think, Nets?

Heeter

WinDVD should allow you to play your DVDs in WMP10 just fine.
Are you sure the DVDs that don't play aren't using a different region encoding?

The few DVD's I have don't have a problem with my set top machine, and they are bought from Best Buy or Blockbuster.

As well WMP doesn't play a few of my mpeg's as well, it will play some, not all.

If there was someway that I could have just WMP10 play everything, them I could uninstall the other proggies. At least that is the way that I am thinking.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back