With Silver Thermal Compound, what is an ideal temp reading?

I

isamuelson

Well, I purchased a Volcano 7 for my Duron 1ghz. Man what a huge monstrosity this thing is! With my Abit KT7A MB, I had to remove the power supply to have enough room to use a screwdriver to get it seated.

I went ahead and used the TIM that's already on it, but I did purchase some Silver Thermal Compound. I haven't put it on yet as I wanted to see how well it faired with the provided TIM that is already there.

I'm currently hanging around 38c to 39c with the CPU which is a BIG improvement over the 63c it was doing with the older fan and heatsink, which curiously, was as Tt heatsink and fan. Must have been a discontinued model or else, an OEM version.

In any case, how much more improvement will the Silver Thermal Compound help? It states it will improve it by as much as 10 degrees C, but is that true? It's Antec's compound.

if your sitting at 38 to 39C right now, you don't need to add anything else, those are real good temps. Silver Thermal Compound will lower it, but you don't need it.

:D

Originally posted by Iceman38
if your sitting at 38 to 39C right now, you don't need to add anything else, those are real good temps. Silver Thermal Compound will lower it, but you don't need it.

:D

Well, now my fan is constantly stuck at around 5200 RPMs with my CPU temperature at 43 degress C and my system temperature around 38 degrees C.

Is this good or bad?

I think the fan in my power supply is slowing down (it's making a terrible grinding noise) and coupled with the high speed of the Volcano, I have to scream to hear now!

Is 43 C fine for an AMD Duron 1ghz?

Just wondering. I think this is where it was at before with my previous heat sink and fan.

thats fine, ive seen cpu's at 75 without crashing. keep it below 50 and your laughing.

Very good temps. Paste drops 2-3 degrees. I use silver paste myself. Some TIM's perform ok. Leave alone from posted results. Every time hsf gets removed the risk of nicking the cpu goes up. I have seen with some cheapo TIM's a 10 degree difference with paste. But much smaller with a good TIM.

Originally posted by isamuelson

Well, now my fan is constantly stuck at around 5200 RPMs with my CPU temperature at 43 degress C and my system temperature around 38 degrees C.

Is this good or bad?

I think the fan in my power supply is slowing down (it's making a terrible grinding noise) and coupled with the high speed of the Volcano, I have to scream to hear now!

Is 43 C fine for an AMD Duron 1ghz?

Just wondering. I think this is where it was at before with my previous heat sink and fan.

your temps are great, everything looks good to me, nothing to worry about.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back