Wireless router question

bobsalot

Boooooooooooooooooooom
I am getting sky broadband soon. It comes with a free wireless router. With this router..will the internet be constantly available wirelessly (for psp) even when my pc is off. If so, how is it secured so that only i can access it when the pc is turned off. I know its something to do with WEP codes or filtering MAC codes..and how will these work with the pc off. i need more info.

Thanks in advance!!!

xx bobsalot xx

I'd recommend setting up WPA encryption (instead of WEP) and MAC address filtering. That is your best bet.

Yes. It will be on when the wireless router is powered on.

The Sky Router is essentially a NetGear DG834G afaik which are quite easy to setup. The availability of your PC won't matter in the slightest, so long as the router is on wireless is available. As the angry one said, recommend using WPA (if you can, WEP if not) and MAC filtering too.

If it is a DG834G then MAC filtering is under "Setup Access Control" in the Wireless Setup page.

and this security will still work when the pc is turned off?

Wireless will be off by default until u enable it. And yes, it will still work without the PC on.

...and with WPA it will always be secure.

I found WEP was better with that router than WPA - WPA kept dropping out whenever I did anything harsh on my computer. But like the guys said, if you can get WPA going with no problems then that's your best bet.

Stick with WPA, if you are targeted, WEP is a lot easier to crack.

if your targeted WPA is crackable. And MAC spoofing is very easy to do.

The Sky Router is essentially a NetGear DG834G afaik which are quite easy to setup. The availability of your PC won't matter in the slightest, so long as the router is on wireless is available. As the angry one said, recommend using WPA (if you can, WEP if not) and MAC filtering too.

If it is a DG834G then MAC filtering is under "Setup Access Control" in the Wireless Setup page.

Yes they use the DG 834G router /modem but according to Sky their system does not work with other Netgear routers such as the DG834PN I have , or other makes supplied by the user, presumably due to a customised setup.
Just in case others want to use their service.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back