Wireless Router and Wired Router (Vonage)

rjr

OSNN Newbie
Hi,

My last post was a little misleading as i forgot to mention my wired Linksys router. So here is what is going on....

I have the Liksys RT31P2 for Vonage and am added a Microsoft Wireless Router to share internet connection as well as set up file and print sharing.

So far I have the Cable Modem hooked into the Linksys, the linksys hooked to the Microsoft wireless, and the microsoft wireless hooked to the desktop.

Desktop is running Win XP and Laptop has the wireless adapter and is running Windows 98SE

The internet is running on both machines. Both machines see the Wireless router but neither see each other?

Is there some settings that need to be adjusted on either router to get these computers to "see" one another?

I have enabled the Guest Account on the wired desktop. I have created identical usernames and passwords on both machines. I have disabled the firewall on the desktop as well as the PC Cillin virus protection and disabled Microsoft anti-spyware

I have read some posts that say the DHCP needs to be disabled and a static IP set - Im not sure which router i should do this on?

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks!

ok... you didnt mention how the MS router is conected to the linksys? You uplink it DONT use the WAN/Internet port on the MS.

Go into the MS setup and disable DHCP and make sure the config IP is different from the linksys. (182.168.0.x)

Im not sure how to "uplink". The MS router has a input for ethernet and 4 outputs also ethernet

Will disable DHCP and make sure the IP address for the routers are different

Thanks

Last edited:
uplink is when you conenct two switches/hubs/routers together, on older devices theres a port thats labelled uplink. This is used to connect to another devices like stated above. You only use 1 uplink, so don't connect two uplink ports. You could use a crossover cable (this is what the uplink port does, allows you to use a stright through instead of a crossover).

Newer devices have an auto sense on this so just connect any two ports.

Hope that all made sense.

If he has internet on both machines the hardware is configured properly.

The problem is either the "Sharing" not set up properly or one or both of the router have a firewall up that is set to protect access from the LAN (i.e. to each other).

Most likely a firewall is the problem. Try turning off any firewall software and see if the computers can see each other. If the computers do see each other you need to work on the firewall settings.

ya but it should be at least be connected properly first. Then go into other details.

Last edited:
thanks ! it was a firewall issue - I corrected the probelm and printing and file sharing are working perfectly!

thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back