Wireless Networking

Andy

Meep.
i want to set up a connection between my pc, and the one down the hall that the rest of my family uses. this pc has a broadband connection to the net, which i want the other pc to be able to share the connection. i also want to be able to take files from that pc, and put files on it from my machine.

what equiptment will i need, any guides to setting it up? any links to suggested products? i want to keep this as low costing as possible.

any questions you may have on my vaugeness, ask away.
thanks.

You just need two USB wireless networking adaptors, such as the Netgear MA111. They are relatively easy to set up, and if you have got windows xp you will be able to share your internet connection between the two.

its about 20ft away through 3 walls about 5inchs thick. will that be too weak?

hybrid said:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10343092&loc=101 like this?

no router or crazy expensive pci things?
whats the range on these things? these are both running xp.

you should take a look at ebay, search for "802.11g wireless"
i got a Netgear wg602 access point, a wg511 pccard (for laptop)
both running the 802.11g (54mps)
dont get the 802.11b (11mps) unless u want slow speed;)

the way i have it setup.. i run 3 computers
1. Internet SERVER, 2. DAW (digital audio workstation) and 3. a 2.8ghz Laptop

The internet server has a 5 port Ethernet hub, 1 of these goes too the wireless access point, one too the DAW (10/100 Cat5 cable)
as the server and daw are always in the same place i kept the cable there, as its faster than wireless and thats where i do most my large file transfers..

The laptop has the pccard which can roam anywhere, around the house/garden and always be able too connect too lan or remote desktop too server or use Internet connection sharing..

if your computers are indeed stationary/dont roam like a laptop, wireless seems a waste of time in my opinion
1. it costs more
2. unless correctly configured & encrypted, its less secure
3. its slower transfer than a typical 10/100 cable
4. speeds decrease the further away you get from acccess point

you can get 802.11a 5ghz which runs at 108mps.. but then your really talking silly money too connect up too stationary PC's..

cable and nic's is very very cheap i say about £30 too connect up 2 computers up too 40metres away (add more if u need more lenghth)

Wireless means u need:
multi port ethernet
access point
pci card/usb adapter

costs are gonna more than double..

I run a Linksys WRT54G wireless 4 port router/gateway. I dont know where you are but they are capable of do what you want and at < $80 it should fit most budgets.
This Linksys model can handle both wireless and wired computer and it is scalable. Something you might want to look into Linksys Website

wireless is my option because i dont want wires running around the house.

i want to know, in black and white, what ill need. its only very basic, i just need to be able to share a few files and the connection if my mum wants to send an email or if my brother wants to look at some websites. thats it.

1 wireless router/gateway
various wireless Network Interface Cards (NICs)
some basic networking knowledge
some luck
a positive attitude
one computer connected to the net and www.ntfs.org in the browser ready to go if any problems come up.

anyone reccomend the best, and cheapest hardware thats im going to need.

thanks everyone!

any particular products or setups recommended? this wont be an always-on network, so security is not a high issue.

hybrid said:
any particular products or setups recommended? this wont be an always-on network, so security is not a high issue.

depends what u have already..
if you already have a router or Ethernet hub, then u just need an access point

if u dont have a router or ethernet hub, then you could either get a wireless router... or get an ethernet hub and an access point

then on your other machine youl need a pci card or usb 802.11 adapter

you make me laugh dood

PseudoKiller said:
1 wireless router/gateway
various wireless Network Interface Cards (NICs)
some basic networking knowledge
some luck
a positive attitude
one computer connected to the net and www.ntfs.org in the browser ready to go if any problems come up.

and I mean that in a good way...

from the description and the budget - I'd be getting ready with the wires! Honest I mean it - both machines need NICs - and he's saying he wants no crazy expensive PCI stuff! Well - hey - I happen to have a NIC left in my detritus bin - so if you send me a PM I'll post it (unused/boxed too!) as my altruistic deed for February. I AM SERIOUS :mad:

Anyways - I've just had trouble with my own wi-fi setup, but this guy needs to know he WILL need a router really to go this way - then plunk the wifi bit on after. Basically he's going very similar to what I did late last year - EXCEPT he has three walls - I kinda have one and less hallway, more a landing with a doorway but not in line of sight. Anyways for my pennyworth with EDIMAX gear I am still apparently getting signal problems - thinking of starting a thread on my probs, but don't wanna be premature.

However - did wanna post about the NIC - from his words sounds like this guy needs it! (And if anyone doubts I have it, post and I'll reply with pic to prove! Plus my only condition for sending is he posts to show/confirm receipt.... OK OK I know that makes it ego and not altru... I take it back - unconditional NIC giving!)

BTW Psycho [EDIT] I mean Pseudo, but didn't you used to be Psycho?[EDIT] is right about everything!

PS - also consider SSID (yeah, you need to know what that is!) and, last but not least, if your neighbours have any wi-fi in range (that way you COULD in theory save loads and just buy half the kit and piggy back on theirs!)

PPS - of course, until they moved!

ok.

if i get this pci card, it would appear that both computers will have a connection. my pc has a connection on the motherboard, so i should be able to link it with the other.

question, then. what else will i need apart from the wires? will i still require a router?

you may or may not (personally I would get one)

hybrid said:
ok.

if i get this pci card, it would appear that both computers will have a connection. my pc has a connection on the motherboard, so i should be able to link it with the other.

question, then. what else will i need apart from the wires? will i still require a router?

This has been covered - let me get link then I'll summarize... lookee here .... so I think you se that if you are leaving one machine on when the other is powered up you may continue to use the modem you have and basically rely on the O/S to let you share the connection.

Personally I think you get a lot of benefit from a Router/Modem - stuff like you can ditch firewalls if you're comfy (they cannot really get past that dumb box - honest!), keep the IP address if you're dynamically assigned (at least so long as router powered up), and last but not least it holds your connection details and the connection - so when you power up - hey presto you are also online.

Short answer - not required if budget limits, but maybe desirable one day

PS will email after lunch about NIC, 'k :)

[edit] PPS - here's a link that may help - link I think you need cross over cable, but I wouldn't personally be networking this way so can't offer specific help (other than the card!)

if its possible, then, to network without a routher with the pci cards, then is it possible to just buy 2 Netgear MA111s and network them that way? no router?

yes or no.

From what I have read, 2 wireless cards can be set up as a peer-to-peer network. You do not need a router for this. I would get 2 cards from the same vendor for compatibility.

SysProg said:
From what I have read, 2 wireless cards can be set up as a peer-to-peer network. You do not need a router for this. I would get 2 cards from the same vendor for compatibility.

with that established, what will a router-less network be capabile of? can i still share a connection/transfer files?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back