Wireless Network Setup

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
I am planning on upgrading my network to include wireless access for my laptop which has a built in Wireless Card. I was thinking of just uplinking a wireless router to my existing router so I could place the wireless router in my room (2nd floor) that way I can use the router as a hub to connect my desktop and my laptop when i want a wired connection.

The wireless router would be sitting about 2 1/2 ft from my desktop monitor and a few inches from a magnetical shielded speaker. The wireless router will be located beside an outside wall on the back of the house. Which is close proximity to where I will be using he laptop. I have no 2.4 GHZ phone and I also have to use the 802.11b method as that is what card my laptop has (also heard about too many probs with 2.4GHz).

I am planning on buing the Linksys EtherFast Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router 4PT Switch.

Would there be any problems setting this up? and is this a good idea.

Clich Here if Image Cannot Be Seen

network.jpg

I don't really see any problems with that setup. Just remember that the 1st port and the Uplink port are shared, and you can only use one or the other.

setup looks fine...

note about the uplink sound valid... 4 port router... 1 port being shared by 2 devices... but since I have never used a setup like that.. I will not know...

:)

Sounds good. My setup is this (time to try out text art lol...

Cable modem
-----------------
|
[WAN]
|
-------------------
Wireless (Linksys wireless router... i think the same as yours)
-----------
| [lan] |
\ \
\ other desktop
My desktop

(( Wireless, my laptop ))

((Wireless, other desktop downstairs))

now that's bad art lol, but your setup should work fine! :) just like mine did :)

-lieb39

You could accomplish the same thing with a wireless access point connected to your existing router.

And in fact, going with just a wifi access point plugged into your existing router would be a cheaper, and effective, alternative (to add to waldo's post:D)

Not here the access points are more, Ive looked them up. But if I do find one I m ight use it. Another thing is I want the woreless access module in my room. I have a dekptop already so Ill need a switch anyways ( I also want the option of using wired and wireless access on my laptop). So I want a router fot the swotch and the access point.

why don't you just geta wireless router with a four port switch ?? it would make it easier: you would be able to have the lined like you want and make the others wireless, also you would save money and space ..
  • http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=415

I am planning on getting a Linksys wireless router. BUT I want to conenct it to my exiting router in the basement so that the acces spoint it on the second floor. I can also utilize the switch to connect my desktop computer (which already has ethernet) and my laptop so I can switch between wired and wireless connections. I dont think Ill get too much reception with the router in the basement, it'll be on the second floor bedise an outer wall.

I got my wireless router and hooked it up like I said, havent tried the ranges but so far it works like I want it to. Ill let you kno on the range.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back