Wireless Network Not Working

N

Not Bman

Alright, when I got this computer it had a wireless card in it, but I never used it before. I am now moving my computer to a room without network ability and I need to use that.

I installed the driver for the card, and gave the router the mac address, but my computer cant find the router/network. What am I doing wrong? or what is the problem?

You say you never used it before, as in, not used computer or not used the wireless and was connected to a wired network? There's not enough info here. Are you using a wireless router now or what? Or did you plug a wireless into the wired router so to use this computer? If 2 routers don't you need the Mac address of the other router also.

Found this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

and this:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ocs/en-us/wlan_client_configure.mspx?mfr=true

Maybe it can help.

I never used the wireless card before, and im now using a wireless router (with wired computer connected to it, and mine was) and now trying to connect to it wirelessly.

It doesn't find a network at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
try turning off the MAC filter on the router, is the SSID broadcast. Once you get a connection then you can add the MAC through the MAC filter.

What is the Mac filter, I already added my mac address to the router

Alright, when I got this computer it had a wireless card in it, but I never used it before. I am now moving my computer to a room without network ability and I need to use that.

I installed the driver for the card, and gave the router the mac address, but my computer cant find the router/network. What am I doing wrong? or what is the problem?

First, make sure that MAC filtering is OFF and security/encryption is OFF (we'll deal with that later) on the router. Next, make sure that (if your laptop has one) the wireless card hardware switch is set to "on" or "enabled." Also, did you get the latest driver for your wireless card?

It's a wireless card built into the motherboard, on my PC computer (not laptop)

So I don't know if there is a switch, and I will try those other 2 things now.

It's a wireless card built into the motherboard, on my PC computer (not laptop)

So I don't know if there is a switch, and I will try those other 2 things now.

Okay, make sure that the card is activated...on a LOT of laptops, you can do this by Fn+F2.

As i said im not on a laptop, and how do I know its activated, It's enabled if thats what you mean. I changed those settings (i think) in the router and no difference.

So I was just looking through my box of drivers and things, and I found this book for the wireless asus stuff, and also an antenna, connected the antenna and it works...

is this normal, before with wired network, i was getting about

6819Kbps Download & 506Kb/s Upload

and now its only

2813Kbps Download & 462Kb/s Upload

Asus board, ah ha, Yep ya needed the antenna and usually, if I remember correctly it should be activated in the BIOS but it seems that yours was on by default. What MoBo is it?

Asus bundled a PCI 802.11g WiFi card and external omni-directional antenna with the "wireless" boards. Such as the A8V Deluxe Wireless. I have the non-wireless version (actually 2 of them). And if memory serves, with Asus' WLAN software you can also configure the WiFi card to act as an access point.

And as for your speed. You were connecting through the built in Gigabit LAN before, yes?

Last edited:
Yea i was connecting through that before, and yea its the M2n32-sli deluxe board

Well, like any WiFi, ya gotta have an antenna. :p

As i said im not on a laptop, and how do I know its activated, It's enabled if thats what you mean. I changed those settings (i think) in the router and no difference.

Ah...too much coffee today I guess. Anyways, yeah you have to have an antenna (internal or otherwise). Know too that radios CAN become damaged over time if powered on without an antenna (but such is not always the case). Anyways...glad you got it to work!

So it turns out that my cordless phone that I have in my house is on the same frequency (or whatever) as my wireless router, cause every time someone is on the phone or it rings, my internet goes down.

Is there away to fix this, like change the frequency its on, or something like that?

And while I'm at it asking questions, is there anyway to supercharge wireless, make it faster?

Well are you sure it's the frequency? Also is this DSL? And if so you got them in-line filters at each of the phone jacks where your phones are plugged in?

I'm pretty sure its the phone, and I come up with the frequency from that. So I'm not sure. It's Cable, not DSL.

Next question, is your phone service part of your cable service (Internet, Cable TV, Digital Phone)?

I'm not the one who pays/set it up, but I'm pretty sure 2 different companies.

Rogers is internet cable, and I think Bell is the phone

if I'm wrong, what does that mean, or how can that help?

*the wireless phone I have came with 2, one goes on the base, and one is another one that needs only a powerplug. I have the one without the base near my computer. I just moved it away to see if that makes a difference. I will let you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea moving that didn't make a difference, I didn't think it would.

I went through the settings in the router but can't find anything on changing the frequency or anything to that effect.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back