Wireless network for DSL

Fenris

OSNN Senior Addict
Im setting up a wireless network in my house for my 2 computer. right now im running standerd SBC DSL service. i was wondering what router should i buy and also do they come with addapteres for nic cards or do i have to buy them seprate.

you can get wireless ADSL gateways with wireless cards bundled. Router wise, I have only used NetGear DG814, which has given me no end of hassle with the 4.8 firmware but which runs quite stable at home with the 4.6 so I am really not sure how to rate it. It comes with the 4.4 firmware on it to start with, I really dont recommend upgrading to 4.8 though
The DG834 has a pretty strong firewall built into it, and DoS and stuff like that. They are pretty easy to setup and get working though.

You'll need an:

RF router B (cheaper) or G (faster) class will work since your internet is only 1.5mbps (I'm with SBC too).

Then the same type (B or G) RF NIC card for each PC. Note the G is usually backward compatible to B.

Remember to turn on the security option to encrypt your RF or anyone can link into your network.

Do a search in here for "wireless network" and you should find who has the best ones these days. It changes as the new models come out.

alright ill have to read a few reviews on them then.
Thanks for the replies

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back