Wireless network disconnects me, then doesn't appear in networks

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

I've been having a problem with the wireless internet on my laptop lately. I'm not quite sure where to begin troubleshooting the problem, but it's a doozie for me. What happens is that I'll be online for awhile, and then all of a sudden bam, it disconnects me. When I go to the view wireless networks setting, I don't see the network I was connected to, even while other people are connected to it as we speak. This issue happens on both my Windows Wireless Networking, or if I allow it, the Intel Wireless Network manager for my Dell Latitude.

I'm running an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network card. This happened on both my network at home, and my buddies network. At his house my laptop doesn't see his network anymore, at least at home a reboot corrected this issue. Any ideas?

I have had this problem myself when using WPA AES Encryption, along with not broadcasting the ssid. I have no idea why, the problem goes away if i use TKIP as opposed to AES, or if I turn on SSID Broadcasting. The connection may still disconnect but the network will show up so you can reconnect at least.

Not sure what your security settings are like but something to take a look at maybe.

James

One of my laptops had the an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network card and I had the same issues. My fix was not to get a centrino again.

What kind of setup are you using? WEP? WPA? Broadcast SSID? Router make and model?

I have the same wireless card and while it sucks so bad I don't have the problem you describe.

I'm currently running Intel PROSet 9.0.2.1 and I use 2 Linksys BEFW11S4 v4 wireless routers in an access point mode only setup.

Well, the router at my house is a Netgear WGR614v6. We are using no passwords, we're using MAC Address Filtering as our method of security (We live in an apartment complex).

The other router is a linksys, I don't know what the model of it is, and it is also unsecure.

I have the same issue with Netgear WGR614v6. I correct it by disconnecting the power from the wireless router itself.

My friend used to have the same problem but it was corrected when he updated the firmware of his Netgear wireless router.

Punkrulz: Have you tried usin the intel utility from the start? I know my uncle's laptop had problems until I switched from the windows utility to the intels. I actually prefer the intel app to windows, unless it's the latest release (it's getting TOO graphical). Also, on my setup I have stopped and disabled the Wireless Zero Configuration service.

Slimfady: If a reboot of the router fixes it then it sounds like the router is crashing. If you upgraded the firmware, try a factory restore and re-config the router. Sometimes it helps clear out old data that could be causing problems.

Punkrulz said:
Well, the router at my house is a Netgear WGR614v6. We are using no passwords, we're using MAC Address Filtering as our method of security (We live in an apartment complex).

That is not really secure. All you need to know how to do is sniff the packets then spoof your MAC to the MAC your pc has. :)

celticfan11 said:
That is not really secure. All you need to know how to do is sniff the packets then spoof your MAC to the MAC your pc has. :)

I agree you whould at least use 64bit WEP and MAC filtering.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back