Wireless network card spec

FrenzyD

OSNN Junior Addict
I talked to University this morning, they recommend me to get either below Wireless network card (for laptop):

a) D Link DWL-G650
b) Netgear WG511

What the different between both(e.g preformance, easy to setup, Pro and cons)? Not think of brand and price.

What other Wireless network card will you recommend?

By the way I am using P3 Laptop - compaq presario 1600-XL 147

The best option is an integrated card, nothing to tote around but since you don't have one it isn't an option.

My friend had a 802.11B Linksys card while we were in college and this thing got excelent range while my integrated didn't get much (upgraded to a Intel 2200BG card and it fixed the range).

FrenzyD said:
I talked to University this morning, they recommend me to get either below Wireless network card (for laptop):

a) D Link DWL-G650
b) Netgear WG511

What the different between both(e.g preformance, easy to setup, Pro and cons)? Not think of brand and price.

What other Wireless network card will you recommend?

By the way I am using P3 Laptop - compaq presario 1600-XL 147

While it's not exclusive, if your school is recommending certain hardware to be used on their network, that may be a good suggestion to follow. Since they support and maintain it, they may have reasons to suggest these model types. Also, you may be able to get support from them, vs the manufacturer, if you choose these models. That is only a theory, might not be actual.

In regards to the cards themselves, setup(s) are generally standard. You pop in the card in your PCMCIA slot, insert driver CD and bam, most of it is automatic. The instructions for joining and logging onto the wireless network will be supplied by your school, as the configuration is unique based on the security keys you need, if any.

Lastly, of the two cards, I would go with the D-LINK DWL-G650. The card is only about 8-10 bucks more, and you can "potentially" get double the speed. The DLINK card can get speeds UP TO 108Mbps, while the Netgear can only achieve UP TO 54Mbps. The reason why I say up to is because those are maximum speeds, and often are not achieved because of interference and signal strenght issues.

But for 8 bucks, and the potential to double your speed, go with the D-LINK :)

You probably already purchased the card but...
I was thinking you might not want to buy the card from your school as it is probably over priced...
Also you dont need to get those two models.. Im sure your school made a deal with them...
However, i think that those two companies are the best out there for the money.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back