Wireless LAN PCI Card or Wireless Router/Access Point

lieb39

Apple lover, PC User
Hello.

Currently I have a laptop with a Linksys 802.11b card wireless card. I use the wireless connectively at school. I would like to expand, and be able to use the wireless at home. I have a question: Should I get a Wireless PCI Card or a Wireless Router / Access point? Budget is a big concern for me. If possible I would like to buy from Futureshop.ca (Wireless networking section). But I am willing to buy from other online stores as long as they are well known, and they ship in Canada. BTW: My location is Toronto, Canada.

I would only need about 20-40 feet away (within a house) However I would love to have more space and more freedom. And I am probaly going to get a router/access point once I move, as I will enjoy it, when I am down under. (Guess where I am moving to? lol)

However, once again I am under a budget. I should keep the price at Less than $200 CDN. However, if its really good than I might go <$300 CDN.

So if you guys could just give me your opionons on this asap, as I wish to make a purchase relatively soon. I am willing to give you guys whatever you need to make the best decision possible for me. Even if its telling you in great detail about my house, so we can make sure I will get a relatively good link strength.

I am very fond of this product, Linksys Etherfast Wireless 4PT Switch. Let me know what you think.

Thank you.

im not really knowledgable when it comes to wireless networking, but i would aim to keep both the wireless card in the laptop and the pci card/router to be from the same manufacturer.

i have a linksys befsr41 4pt router (non-wireless), and ive found it to be really good, so i recommend the linksys purely from my experience (plus you've got a linksys wireless card in the laptop).

unless you transport your computer often, then don't get a wireless pci card for it. just get the wireless router and connect your comp using good ol' 100-base cable. this way, if you have broadband, they'll be able to share the internet connection. you will also be able to hook up other computers that aren't wireless equipped.

a friend of mine got a wireless linksys router recently.. it's probably the same one you have your eye on. anyway, it works like a charm.

Here is my house setup.
The wireless router is in the room named 'wireless router.' I would like the router to be able to reach to bedroom 2 (with the shape in it)

What do you guys think?

My house is about 10 years old, and made of wood.

BTW: You need Viewpoint viewer, which you can get at Viewpoint.com

My House: http://www.centralogn.com/~dan/ntfs/wireless/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back