winxp system maintenance guide?

B

bigmike247

Anyone know of a good site or guide that explains how to perform a clean system maintenance on windows xp home ed.
(such as scan disk, defrag, clean folders, etc.)
I noticed that there is no scan disk and I was curious on how to perform a defrag on win xp. I usually end processes running in the background from win98 but I noticed that winxp has about 20 or so processes and I thought there was an easier way to end these or is it not necessary. Any feedback or tips would be appreciated.

thanks alot!
-mike

to scan, my computer/right click on drive/properties/tools
there is the xp answer to scan disk and defrag.
I don't find it necessary to disable any running apps. I commonly defrag while performing many task.
BTW, get diskeeper. It is a great xp defragger.

Originally posted by stapler101
to scan, my computer/right click on drive/properties/tools
there is the xp answer to scan disk and defrag.
I don't find it necessary to disable any running apps. I commonly defrag while performing many task.
BTW, get diskeeper. It is a great xp defragger.

What makes diskeeper so great? I use it and it really dont seem any diff the the defrag that comes with XP. I must be missing something so that is why I am asking.

Have you tried boot-time defrag? It's under Tools in Diskeeper

Originally posted by DarkSiege
Oops! It's actually under the Action panel sry! ;)

OK now that I found it give me some hints of what to do with it :D

When you set the boot-time defrag to a hard drive, you can set it so that on the next manual reboot you do, it will run. A blue screen should come up for the check disk and then the defrag will continue after it's done. The boot-time defrag can take a long time (2 hours for me). I think it rearranges the files you need to boot up, making your comp boot up faster. You should see a difference in the map of your hard drive after the defrag when you analyze your hard drive (The directories should all be in front).
I hope this helps...:)

Sure does Thank you

Now if you know anything about CS see my post on the game forum :)

Thank alot guys, i heard from another forum that running defrag, etc is better in safe mode since it won't defrag running processes. Any idea on how i can get into safe mode on winxp home ed? It worked fine last night by just cancelling tray programs but figured safemode would be better....

thanks again for the replies.

ok, i dont know how this topic went totally off course, but here i am back w/ results.

after reformatting because of unrelated problems, i discovered that my computer gets bogged down and explorer starts using all my cpu resources when i'm in the window containing my divx videos, and after i close the window, also while i'm watching the videos and even after the videos it still eats up my resources, closing explorer and opening it up is a pain in the ass, and really an inconvienance.

my fault, i put that post in the wrong thread... damnit i thought it was mine ;(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back