WinXP still freezes after a format??

scsa20

Simonsoft Network
Okey, I have no clue what's going on here... I'm really starting to think it's more of a hard drive problem then what I'm running on..

Okey, about 20 days ago (about 5 days before I formated), it started to really lag and slow down and such and it was almost to the 6th month = format time (cuz I normally format my system every 6 month cuz that's when there's alot of junk that just needs to get away), so I started making back ups and such... here we are, about 15 days later after the format it's still freezes and lags like a mother....

Since I already know there's nothing wrong with my processor or RAM, I'm starting to think that hard drive is just beginning to be really old.

Do you think if I switch my 40 gig with my 80 gig drive, do you think the problem well just go away?? DAMN THIS MOTHER *radio edit*

any helpful replays would be appratied.

i have the exact same problem!!!! geez i was thinkin about geting a new hard drive because i can start to hear mine and it sucks!! i keep geting programs with "not responding" and i just installed it with a fresh copy :(

I know, it's weird... so... yeah, I might as well try swapping hard drives (although I'm too lazy right now, on one of my next off days :))

run a disk diagostic (different hard drives have their own disk checks you run with a floppy disk)~

then run a memtest to check your memory~

then check out your power supply~

breezie said:
run a disk diagostic (different hard drives have their own disk checks you run with a floppy disk)~

then run a memtest to check your memory~

then check out your power supply~

sounds like bad memory

Did you test your memory with memtest86? If not, go download it and run it.

sounds to me either a hdd problem/over heating (check cpu temps also if there is any dust on the fan suck it up with hoover should be done every 6 months) or not enother power. have you added any more hardware or upgraded anything ?

JynxY

jynxy said:
if there is any dust on the fan suck it up with hoover should be done every 6 months
eek ... you should keep regular vacums away from your computer at all costs. I would suggest a can of compressed air (I use ReAir - you pump up the can and can use it like 100 times) to blow the dirt out of the fans if need be.

Absolutely correct D.L. I heard that doing so, actually makes your eyes go crosseyed. :cool:

Xie said:
eek ... you should keep regular vacums away from your computer at all costs. I would suggest a can of compressed air (I use ReAir - you pump up the can and can use it like 100 times) to blow the dirt out of the fans if need be.

ahh but if you attach an anti static band to the case and vacum cleaner you are ok just dont put it on the mother board its perfectly fine on the fans :)

as for the motherboard i use anti-static pc cleaning wipes makes it all nice and shiny again and gets rid of all that dust :) and yes its designed for components.

I wouldn't go near a PC with a normal vaccum cleaner either even if you have somehow got a way to deal with the static. Its a technical no-no. You could accidently suck up an important motherboard part into the hoover.

'Vacuum Cleaners', do not mix with motherboards.

I suggest you buy a very long set of plastic sticks which have a cotton bud on them and a little spray of the alcohol based cleaner onto them and slowy twizzle them gently around dust spots.

If you don't have an anti static band just tap sides of unit when cleaning with your hands.

I hope I don't read a news post about some of you frying using a Vacuum Cleaner.

So I have 3 possbablities:

1) Hard Drive Problem (which I'm going to swap hard drives whenever I get a bigger one)
2) OverHeating (which is unlikely, my temps normally stays around 89 decress Ferheit
or
3) Now enough power

and to answer your question, jynxy, the only new hardware added would be a DVD burner which is just recent too (replaced my old CD-RW drive with a DVD-R/RW DVD+R/RW drive) and I'm planing on removing my DVD-ROW drive since I no longer have any use for it.

I don't have much in name of hardware, only the basic

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back