winXP startup floppy - cannot access C drive

greggustin

OSNN Addict
corputed file = no winXP disk

this would be easy if Gateway gave me a WinXP CD . . .
instead they gave me a recovery CD with WinXP embedded which will reformat the whole HD if used - IDIOTS
anyway
I have a corrupted file (I get this message on startup)

"c:\windows\system32\config\system" is corrupted
us WinXP and 'r' to start recovery

so far, I went to my second desktop
(same Gateway model) and tried to copy the system file to a floppy - but I cannot because copying the file is prevented because file is "in use"

I even tried from the cmd (dos) prompt
any ideas???

eg how can I copy that file onto the floppy
then how can I get it into the broken desktop?

I do have a brand new XP Pro CD - still in its sleave
can I use that to start my XP home problem desktop?

same thing happens on both computers
(Same Gateway models)
I made a startup floppy
but when used to start the computer
it cannot find the C drive ! huh?
what good is it?
did I do something wrong when I made the floppy?

threads merged lets keep this on one thread please. thanks

When you say it won't see the c: drive; how exactly are you getting to this conclusion?

When you say it won't see the c: drive; how exactly are you getting to this conclusion?

c: --> not a valid drive

in any event - I have done lots of research this past
hour - seems that STUPID MICROSOFT tells us to make a startup floppy - but it IS WORTHLESS , because it WILL NOT RECOGNIZE NFTS drives

found dozens of links confirming this

Isn't c:\windows\system32\config\system one of the files that the registry is stored in?

Also you can boot from the WinXP cd and choose R for the recovery console. You should be able to copy the file there.

attention - problem solved - not really sure how - but sharing with the forum

I took the chance, after reading many URL about use of WinXP Pro and that it ASKS if you want to install or recover
so I did recover
and is asks to select the verison of windows (OS) as I had only one - it was was - then it went into what appeared to be loading many many drivers and then it dumped into a DOS mode
that DID access all hard drives
and I found the bad file, now with a current date -
so I shut down and restarted
ooooooooooops - spoke too soon - as I am writing this on my laptop - the failed desktop now keeps rebooting (get almost done- and after the 4th time - got the original error message - corrupt file -
aaaarghhhhhhhhhh - will keep you posted (will try safe mode soon)
UPDATE:
well , ran the recover console again
and then exited, and got it to start (without reboot) in safe mode
at least SOME progress :)

Last edited:
It may set up to only except the recovery cd. At which point it would be a major pain in the butt. I know with past issues with gateways that I had was they required you to have the boot disk to recover - EVEN IF THE PC DIDN'T COME WITH A FLOPPY DRIVE OR THE FLOPPY DISK. Junk, that is all they are ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back