winxp running low on virtual memory?

T

taz

i need some help with the topic of 'running low on virtual memory'..

i have 512mb of ram and i set 50mb for virtual memory.. this 50 mb of virtual memory is needed for photoshop.. without vm, i just can't get ps to start(ps will load, but it'll shut down itself because there are no vm).. i've also enabled 'DisablePagingExecutable'..

last night i was doing multitasking, have 20 windows opened, with different applications and i suddenly get this message pops up from the task bar saying 'windows is running low on vm'.. i don't get it, i check the task manager, windows only used up 260mb of ram.. i have 512mb, why can't it just use physical memory before using vm?

is there any way to tweak windows so that i don't use vm so much? and also, is there a way to get ps to load without any vm?

From what I understand Photoshop will not run without VM. It's also best to let the system set the VM, I know it's wasted space, however, your computer will run alot better.

Where do you have your Photoshop scratch disk? In PS, look in edit-> preferences-> plugins and scratch disk.

Unfortunately it appears XP likes to use vm before realmem and there isn't much you can do about it. If I were you I'd set the paging file for 768 min & max - what's the big deal? It really won't hurt anything (yeah I know, it's your stystem not Bill's - but so what?). Anyway, please feel free to see my post on Paging Files at this location in the event it may help:

http://www.tweakxp.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=542

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back