WinXP registry tweaks

H

HzrnBgy

change the default location of your background directory (the place where you change wallpaper) in Display Properties > Desktop tab > Background list box (involves only registry editing)

1. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
2. locate "WallPaperDir". Double click to open edit dialog box
3. type the complete path of your picture directory (e.g. C:\...................)
4. you dont need to restart to preview changes

==========================================
more to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) :) :cool:

logonui.exe power tweak

change log on screen (logonui.exe) in three (essentially) steps without restarting!!!

1. locate desired "logonui.exe" file and rename it to something convenient (i used mylogonui.exe)
2. copy renamed file to Windows\system32 folder
3. run regedt32.exe
4. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu
rrentVersion\Winlogon and double-click (to open edit dialog) "UIHost"
5. change it to the name of your log on screen (on my case, mylogonui.exe)
6. restart your PC (to preview your new log on/off screen)

awesome tweak. i've been waiting for this one for a while. thanks.

reminder!!!!

please dont discuss page file size problem in here, you can find bettter discussion at dealer's thread "My favorite tweaks"

registry tweak

registry settings you may want to check out. go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

in here you can find some interesting keys
1. SecondLevelDataCache - i am not yet sure if this involves the on-board L2 cache size or the on-die L2 cache size. you could specify yours (check your processor's L2 cache and use the decimal format in entering it - sizes ranges from 128, 256 and 512)
2. DisablePagingExecutive (for 256 MB RAM or more only) --> enter 1 for windows to be more responsive
3. Others are self explanatory (such as ClearPageFileatShutdown and LargeSystemCache)
4. Don't mess up with the other settings, never tried them before, only the one i mentioned :)

by the way, you can change LargeSystemCache at Control Panel>System >Advanced tab >Performance tab > Setting >Advanced tab

==================================
i'll add more soon as i discover them, i play with the registry a lot especially when reformatting season comes(if you know what i mean)

I agree, we've seen enough about the page file, so not to discuss it anymore, just make sure you do not set the page file to a staic value :D :D

Dose anyone still use TweakUI with there XP system? I know its hard to find but you never know.

Yep yep, I use it. You're looking for it RadicalEdward?

No, I use it. I'm just wondering about how meny others do/know about it.

here is a file that contains all my reg tweaks that I use......You need em!!!!!! At least I find you do.....

I must just be crazy...

I checked the registry hack (suggested above) and the darn thing looks right, points to a different logonui.exe file, yet I still have the plain ugly old windows logon screen.

How is this possible? Am I thinking of perhaps the wrong logon screen (I'm just after the one that you get when you log in..)

:(

Oh well. Any insights?

I use Tweakui, haven't actually used it for anything in about 2 months though. more into registry tweaking at the moment, but it does have it's uses.

Re: I must just be crazy...

Originally posted by Merchant-SC-
I checked the registry hack (suggested above) and the darn thing looks right, points to a different logonui.exe file, yet I still have the plain ugly old windows logon screen.

How is this possible? Am I thinking of perhaps the wrong logon screen (I'm just after the one that you get when you log in..)

:(

Oh well. Any insights?

===========================================
I suggest if you have lots of logonui.exe on your machine, you rename them to something sequential (such as 1logonui.exe, 2logonui.exe...............and so on) and copy all them to Wnidows\system32 then proceed to the registry editing (you dont have to type the full path of your logonui.exe as long it is in your System32 folder and it should not be logonui.exe because Windows File Protection will just revert it to the original (reneme it to something easy to remember

Originally posted by HzrnBgy
change the default location of your background directory (the place where you change wallpaper) in Display Properties > Desktop tab > Background list box (involves only registry editing)

1. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
2. locate "WallPaperDir". Double click to open edit dialog box
3. type the complete path of your picture directory (e.g. C:\...................)
4. you dont need to restart to preview changes

I used this tweak, but now for some reason some of the pictures in the new bakgrounds folder appear twice. I can select them both, and appy them both (seperatly of course). Any ideas how I can fix this, aside from changing the folder back?

i have looked to see if there were double images, but there are not. Attached is what the problem looks like.

Originally posted by Piett

I used this tweak, but now for some reason some of the pictures in the new bakgrounds folder appear twice. I can select them both, and appy them both (seperatly of course). Any ideas how I can fix this, aside from changing the folder back?

i have looked to see if there were double images, but there are not. Attached is what the problem looks like.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
You must have the same copy of the pictures at your Windows directory. You can check it out! I think thats the cause

Searching....

Searching as i type. i'll let you know how it goes.

Well, it didn't take me this long to search, but it did take me this long to remember that i had to post. There aren't any dupes in the Windows dir...nor anywhere else. this is perplexing...

new tweak

ever tried playing Counter-Strike in windowed mode? i think i just found the way to do it. just invove some registry modification. ill post it later.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back