WinXP registry tweaks

CS gaming tip

Run Counter-Strike in windowed mode. This tweak involves registry modification that when done improperly can cause your

system to hang. Before proceeding to the actual modification of your registry, there are thing you need to know. First obtain

your desktop screen setting. This includes monitor resolution and color depth. Your resolution should look something like

these numbers (1024x768; 800x600; 640x480; 1280x1024 or something like it) and your color depth only be 16 (High Color) or 32

(True Color). After obtaining such, you may now proceed to the editing process.

-----------> It had worked in CS 1.4 and 1.5 but never tried on CS 1.3 <---------------------

1. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Half-Life\Settings
2. Look for these items
"EngineAllowWindowed" <<< Optional (it can be there or not which is just fine)
"EngineModeBPP"
"EngineModeH"
"EngineModeW"
"EngineModeWindowed"
"LauncherBPP"
"LauncherHeight"
"LauncherWidth"
----------------> all are DWORD values <--------------------
3. To run CS in windowed mode, set the following resistry entries:
EngineAllowWindowed = 1
EngineModeBPP = should match your desktop color depth (16 or 32 in decimal format!)
EngineModeH = height (should be less than your screen height resolution and conform to the 4x3 aspect

ratio such as 480, 600, 768, 1024 etc.)
EngineModeW = width (same rule for the height; 640, 800, 1024, 1280 etc.)
EngineModeWindowed = 1
LauncherBPP = should match your desktop color depth (16 or 32 in decimal format!)
LauncherHeight = ignore this
LauncherWidth = ignore this

*only possible combinations are 480x640, 600x800, etc. and should be in decimal format when entering value in the registry.

4. Close regedit and you're ready to go.

########## Don't held me responsible if it causes instability to your operating system ##################
---> its not actually a tweak though!!!! just came across it!!

New (but old) registry tip

Change your default dialog box places bar

This tip basically changes your default places bar (the one you usually encounter when you try to open, save and run documents and programs) Look at the picture.

1. go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar

2. you should see some REG_DWORD (or REG_SZ) values (just like mine!)

3. you can edit any existing value or add new values(i recommend adding though). you can delete any existing REG_DWORD values and replace them with your own REG_SZ values. (you should back your registry in case of unexpected error)

4. to add a new value, right click an empty space and choose New > String Value. Rename it to something like place0, place1, place2, place3........ note that it you can only have a maximum of 5 values (from place0 to place4)

5. Double click the new string values (the one you have just created) to open the edit dialog box. Enter the complete path (e.g. C:\WINDOWS or D:\..........)

6. and your finish. you may want to preview changes by clicking START > RUN > BROWSE

7. for added looks, go to the folders (using explorer of course, not regedit) you have just entered in the registry and customize it, edit custom icon and your good to go.

your registry setting should look like mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back