WinXP Regedit auto-closes itself...

Eproxus

Long gone and now back!
When starting the registry editor in Windows XP (with both regedit.exe and regedt32.exe) it auto-closes itself after about 5-10 seconds. Even if I just leave it on it closes.

What is M$ big problem? And do you know how to fix this? Then please help me, thank you.

GoNz0

NTFS Stoner
probably a virus m8, a workaround is to rename regedit.exe to regedit.com it should fool it and works fine as a command, saved my ass once :)

Eproxus

Long gone and now back!
Thanks, it seems to work now!

Btw, I was going to add a "Open with Scintilla" to all files. I figured out that creating HKCR\*\Shell\Open with Scintilla\ gave me the option in the right-click menu, but how is the command for running an app?

GoNz0

NTFS Stoner
you now have to find out whats forcing regedit to shut on its own m8, look at the run commands, use msconfig, virus scans online, but 99% of the time its a virus causing it.

Eproxus

Long gone and now back!
Removed the service scvhost.exe (note scv, not svc :) )

It not started now, and before it took about 60-70 percent of the CPU time but now nothing is eating CPU when idle.

Eproxus

Long gone and now back!
Will do, House Call or whatever didn't work in Opera so I'm going to download another virus program...

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amanda99