WinXP/Outlook Express/Office 97....

T

TheDoctor

I am running Windows XP Professional (2600)

I recently decided to install a version of MS Office as I did not yet have any version installed.

I seem to have lost my Office 2000 CD...grrr :mad: , but I did manage to find a copy of Office 97 Pro.

I went about my ways and installed a full install of Office 97 onto my WinXp system.

The problem started here, after I rebooted I got a bit worried when I went to check my email. Office 97 installed Outlook 97 over Outlook Express. (Or so it seemed)

I didn't want to use Outlook 97 at all, so I thought the best thing to do was just to simply uninstall Outlook. I did this, rebooted and noticed that it didn't repair any of my Outlook Express (OE v6 btw) icons or shortcuts.

SHOCK...HORROR!!.. I thought that Outlook had overwritten Outlook Express and then when I uninstalled Outlook, I thought that it took Outlook Express with it.

Anyway, I found that OE was still installed and proceeded to created some new shortcuts to the Outlook Express executable.

All was fine untill Outlook Express opened and told me that it was not the default mail client. Grrr again... So I left the little checkbox enabled and clicked YES (OE is the default).

The problem now starts everytime I open either Outlook Express OR Internet Explorer (v6). Both programs fail to STAY as the default mail client/internet browser. They both open and tell me that they are not the default mail client/browser.

My question is:
Why is this STILL happening?
What is reclaiming the default status for both browsing and email?
Is it Office 97?
Is their a registry key that I can edit to manually tell Windows that I want OE as default mail and IE as default browser?

All help appreciated.

-TheDoctor

just see what program a html file on your harddrive points to if you double click on it...I had that problem once before..I just told it I didn't want to make it the default, and not to notify me again and it still worked fine and everything opened fine so ah well :)

hope that helps

In your internet settings under default programs, check that OE is selected, not Outlook. My guess is there's a reg key resetting the default to Outlook (how nice of MS to "repair" these errors for you, eh?) Either reinstall or hunt th MS KB for a solution if nothing else works.
/L.A

Re: WinXP/Outlook Express problem...

Interestingly, I checked Internet Explorer Properties for a sign of Outlook Express being my default mail client.
In the Programs tab and under Email, I CANNOT select any program. OE is, however, selected as default news reader.

I am now sure that there has to be a reg key that corresponds to this problem, but a search on the MS KB has turned up absolutely nothing.

Anybody else with the same problem?
Anybody found a solution?

Regards,
-TheDoctor

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back