WinXP Dualboot?

jeeter2

OSNN Junior Addict
I took the HP oem WinXP off my computer and installed WinXP from M$ one of the original 2001 disks, but it is showing dualboot for WinXP.

My HP oem WinXP creats a restore partition that might be the problem but I want basic WinXP my computer runs faster and has fewer problems.

I tried formating my entire HD from the WinXP disk on normal but that didnt get rid of the other WinXP that isnt there.

So how do I get rid of this other WinXP that doesnt exist on my pc?

HP Pavillion a562n
P4 3.0E
512MB PC3200
200Gig HD
GeForce 6600 GT AGP
SB Live 5.1

Hello,

On desktop, right clic My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup & Recovery > Settings > System Startup > Edit

There you'll see the 2 different XP instances in the [Operating Systems] section, see from there if you can tell which one isn't anymore and delete accordingly.

But, on a safer side, you could simply untick, before selecting Edit, "Time to display list of operating systems", this way dual boot should be disabled in boot.ini

But [2nd], you could also reinstall your system one more time, from new: if you have a win98 boot disk, use it, when you're on the a:\ prompt, enter "fdisk /mbr", this way the Master Boot Record (responsible for keeping records of your HP's XP oem installation) will me definitely erased.
Then reboot on your original XP cd and create partitions according to your needs; only depends on the courage you have to reinstall your whole system once again... ;)

Thanks that did the trick how ever my boot.ini still says its a multi boot system, do I change multi to single or just dont mess with it?

jeeter2 said:
Thanks that did the trick how ever my boot.ini still says its a multi boot system, do I change multi to single or just dont mess with it?

What did you do ? Just unticked "Time to display list of operating systems" ?

No, do not modify the Multi setting, it is set to Multi ( 0 ) by default, even though you do not have several operating systems installed.

Glad I helped ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back