WinXP BootFailure: desperate to save data.

C

ChiroGeek

Hi all,

I've got my brother-in-law computer on my workbench and Its failing to load window XP Pro - NTFS partitioned. It trys but hangs on the very first windows screen. Eventually I get the evil blue screen of death saying "unmountable_Boot_Volume". I'm figureing a dead hard drive.

Of course they have failed to back it up and am begging that I try and save some of the files on the computer - especially the My Documents folder.

I've tried booting in with all the safe-mode options for it never makes it to a windows screen - just the above Blue Screen.

I've tried booting up to win 98 boot disc but it would see the C:\ drive. I wanted to try and redo the boot sector.

I then thought maybe I could try a new window install in a differently named install folder (this usually has worked in the past) but windows said the partition was damaged and I need to reformat - which of course will kill all their old files.

Does anyone have any other tricks I can try????

Thanks in advance
Doug G.

Try NTFS DOS. http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm to Download it. Never tried it but sure it works.

Another method is to intall XP or 2K on another drive or install it in another comp and put the dead hard drive as the slave and try recovery tools on it.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen apppears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware of software manuufacturer for any windows update you might need.

If the problems continue, , disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable compontents, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information
***STOP: 0X000000ED (0X823D7BB8, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

THE FIX:

Boot from the CD to the Recovery Console

Type: chkdsk /r (and wait FOREVER)
Type: fixboot
Type: exit

Hey I posted about this before (Was my first post) Get PrusudoKiller to delete this thread

The thread was "Unmountable Boot Volume in XP" So a mod must close or delete this duped thread

Hipster Doofus

Thanks a ton! That did the trick. Problem solved.

Doug

Originally posted by ViperSnake
Hey I posted about this before (Was my first post) Get PrusudoKiller to delete this thread

Originally posted by ViperSnake
The thread was "Unmountable Boot Volume in XP" So a mod must close or delete this duped thread

Relax. :)

The thread you mentioned was started by a different person - Nismo83. Perhaps you could have provided a link to the old thread in response to ChiroGeek's question.
There's no point deleting threads when different people have the same problems. Duplicate posts by the same person in multiple forums are what we delete/merge.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back