WinRAR and Vista Support?

N

Not Bman

WinRAR doesn't seem to run well in Vista, or so I think its Vista.

I cannot right click on an item and extract (of course there's the option) but when I click on it, it does nothing. I have to double click to open the program (which asks me every time to allow it) and then extract it from inside the program.

Is there a fix, or something I need to change. A different version? Yes I did the Run as Admin a couple times.

Re: WinRAR

What version of WinRAR are you using?
And are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Vista?

I'm using WinRAR 3.61 on Vista x86, and I can extract archives using the context menu item. I don't get any elevation prompts when opening the program either.

hmm..dunno.. WinRar works fine for me.

Running winRar 3.30 on Vista Business (32-bit). I do have the UAC featured turned off though

I'm using WinRAR 3.62 on Vista x86.

Is there anything I can do, I hate opening it up. Maybe try to exchange it for another copy lol. hmmm

I'm using WinRAR 3.62 on Vista x86.

Is there anything I can do, I hate opening it up. Maybe try to exchange it for another copy lol. hmmm
There seems to be a 3.70 beta available. You might want to install that and see if it fixes the problem.
http://www.rarlabs.com/download.htm

Edit: I just installed 3.70 beta 3 on my Tablet, also running Vista x86, and it works fine too.

Last edited:

I decided to give 7zip a try, since its free. It works great, nothing wrong with it either. I think I might keep it.

Thanks for the help.

Versions of Winrar before 3.70 are not really compatible with Vista. No big deal to update as all updates are free if you are a registered user unlike Winzip which used to be free upgrades but now charges for version updates.

Registered WinRAR user here and it works great with Vista.

^^Ditto m8.

I have used WinRAR for years, I'll never switch!

use it here also, used to always ask for permission but last one i installed stoped this. so its fine now :)

7zip is also good though, use it at work

use it here also, used to always ask for permission but last one i installed stoped this. so its fine now :)

That was the problem between Winrar and Vista before version 3.70 and since Smoke286 does not seem to have this problem I assume their system is running with UAC turned off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back