WindowsPE 2005 SP-2 is just childs play compaired to BartPE ...

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
A) WindowsPE is a Preinstalled Environment. It runs on a cd, or dvd. It alows you to run system tests and repair. It is limited to what you can do though, and there is no real way of customizing it.

The things out of the box with it that I found is:
  1. I can't get the RAMdrive programs to work
  2. There is no real way to customize it to add programs you want, and programs you will use.
B) BartPE is a pc techs dream. It enables you to custamize your PE. You can add pretty much any type of programs to it (whether it be an anitvirus, firewall, spy scanner, any type of program), You can make it the way you want it to be. You can even make a portable pc on a cd with the programs you use, and make it able to access the internet using firefox or another type of web browser), anything you want to do you can, the oprions are all open, there are literally hundreds of plugins for it, you can even make your own if you like.

To do it you simply use your regular windows os cd and run the PE Builder to make it. The only thing with it is that they recomend that you use WindowsXP Pro with sp2, if you don't have sp2 in your os cd you can get a program that will do it for you called Autostreamer, it works great. Home edition does not have all the things you will need. You can use home edition, but you will have to get the files needed from another source.

The thing I like best about this program is that you can add a plugin call XPE, this will give you the same desktop as windows and it allows you to make it look like the Windows desktop, you can even add a theme manager like window blinds or style xp and use it, the default BartPE desktop is limited.

You could make it look this: The options are endless.
pedesktop.jpg

I can go on about this, I love it - More info can be found here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?act=SC&c=8
http://www.reatogo.de/
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

As a note: None of the programs you use for this are illegal, the ones that are bought require you to put a key in them before they will work on the cd. A lot of them are free also. It is truely a great program, There is so much you can do with it that it is imposible to list them all.

Is there anyone else who used this ??? If so how is yours set up ...

You can also use windows 2003 with this .. I forgot to mention that .. This is a great program .. :)

uhm? what? Just use a full blown windows desktop install if you want customisability. PRe-install environments are just that... so uhm...huh?

Nice Johnny. I'll make a CD today. ;) Have slipstreamed my XP SP2 - shouldn't take long.

For data recovery, and pulling data off a PC b4 reformat/reinstall I use a bootable Linux build, Bit Defender. The only build that will allow me full control over the NTFS file system. However, looks like I could switch over to this... makes things even easier.

Nice find.

Mastershakes said:
Nice Johnny. I'll make a CD today. ;) Have slipstreamed my XP SP2 - shouldn't take long.

For data recovery, and pulling data off a PC b4 reformat/reinstall I use a bootable Linux build, Bit Defender. The only build that will allow me full control over the NTFS file system. However, looks like I could switch over to this... makes things even easier.

Nice find.

I find using this is better than using a linux livecd, like knoppix for example. In fact, I like this better than knoppix. Simply because it gives you more functionability and allows you add things you will use, and not hog the disk up with things that are useless ..

@Lordofla - The idea of this is to use it as a repair live cd, In case you would have a hd crash or something, this would give you the tools you need to recover things. This way you can recover things before you do a reformat, switch had's, restore, etc. It is a great recovery tool. There is just more you can do with it ..

Mive for example has the following on it:
  • Acronis True Image Server
  • Acronic Diskdirector
  • Nero Burning Rom
  • Avast Antivirus
  • Adaware
  • Spybot
  • Winzip
  • Winrar
  • Hikack this
  • Ramdrive
  • The basic things that come with, explorer, ie, etc
    I also have some extras on it
This thing works great, it is an awesome tool. Like I said there is so much you can do with it ...

I'm confused. If I want to recover data from a dead PC I pull the HD out stick it in my $25 USB 2 case and read it from my PC that has all the diagnostic tools installed on it.

Why would I waste time and risk more data loss by trying to work from a known crippled system?

Not everybody does that leejend, and what do you do if you only have one hd ?? take it to a friends house to try and fix ?? This makes it more conviniet and easier. Simply because all you have to do is put the cd in the drive and run it, you can access network shares and everything with this. If you have a burner program built into, like I do, you can use it to burn your data to another cd before you reformat, restore, etc. It's the same principle as using Knoppix, but better. Mostly because of the fact, like I said, you don't have to have the cd filled with crap you won't use, or with things you don't know how to use.

Windows PE Overview
You can think of Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) as a powerful replacement for the Microsoft MS-DOS® operating system in your deployment processes, test and diagnostic tools development, and system recovery processes. Windows PE is a minimal Windows system that provides limited services based on the Windows XP Professional and the Windows Server 2003 kernels. It also provides the minimal set of features required to run Windows Setup, access and install operating systems from the network, script basic repetitive tasks, and validate hardware.

Moe info here: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/winpreinst/WindowsPE_over.mspx

With BartPE, You are making a WindowsPE disk, it just has the things you would use it. A regular WindowsPE disk does not include everything you will need, and it also has things you won't want, With BartPE you can add things and take away things .. It makes it more user friendly for the user. I guess some people won't like it. And some won't understand it, I guess you have to be a tech to really understand what it does and what it can do ..

Oh something else I forgot to mention - You can also install this on your hd and make it a daul boot system. I know that would be useless if the hd crashes lol .. But it is an option you have ...

Last edited:
I use a cd called miniPE however its the same idea as the BartPE other then somebody else has already added everything and its fits on one of the those 200MB or there abouts minicd

chastity said:
I use a cd called miniPE however its the same idea as the BartPE other then somebody else has already added everything and its fits on one of the those 200MB or there abouts minicd

Yeah, I seen that. It is loaded with a lot of stuff. 9/10 of what I would never use ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back