windows xpsp2 not installing

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
this will be vague and that is because I dont know the exact error
my brother can't get sp2 installed on his windows xp machine made by HP...the version perfectly legit but the error that comes up is something to do with "cryptological settings"

can someone please tell me what that could possibly be because I've never heard of it or seen it before??!?!?! :dead:

Go into the control panel, then administrative tools, double click services. Scroll down to cryptographic services, double click it, then click start.

Now try installing SP2.

he did it and it still stopped but no error just that it couldn't be installed

EDIT...Error Code 8007foda0

Personally I'd tell him to thank God for the blessing of not being able to install SP2 (wait for SP2a where they fix all the bugs).

Encryption is not my strong point, but if he must make the SP2 mistake...
Check that he is not using any file encryption programs (other than what's in windows). If he is turn them off if he can. WARNING this will put him at risk of data loss. If he reinstalls/restarts his encryption keys may change locking him out of his data.

He really needs to find out what he has done/installed that added encryption. This may be something his employer requried him to do for business use of his home PC or LAPTOP. It could be NTFS file protection. Need input.

will find out more...he doesn't do anything on this computer his wife does...she hasn't done anything for work or anything for file protection. I think it's a really bad virus or something but he needs sp2 for his new usb wireless adapter to work

Leejend: SP2 is not a mistake. I'd have thought you'd have learned by now.

Tuffgong: The best way to install SP2 is to slipstream a CD with it and either do a clean install or a repair install. You seem to have typo'd the error code so I cant look up potential fixes. As a general "try this and see if it works" kindof thing - pop to the blackviper services page and get a registry file to return all sercvices to their default statup options and reboot.

Try installing sp2 again and in theory (if any other service was missing) it should work. Alternativley if he uses xpantispy turn on regwiz and licdll and try again.

Beyond this I cannot help until I see the correct error code :D

that is the error code I copied from him, and I double and triple asked him to double and triple check it and he did...cause I checked microsofts support with that code as well...he's also not the type of person to bs and not thoroughly check it...that error code came up the try after the cryptologic one in the previous try. He doesn't use XPantispy on his computer cause it's a legit copy and he wouldn't know how to use it anyway...

Going to check out blackviper's dear ol' website right now and look for what you are talking about.

Thanks for all the help guys I will keep you informed and give more info

EDIT...http://www.blackviper.com/ is down!!!

LordOfLA said:
Leejend: SP2 is not a mistake. I'd have thought you'd have learned by now.
Funny how people still crib about it, eh? :)
If you have a particular application that doesn't work with SP2, you should really contact the software vendor and let them know. Almost every company that cares about their customers has already fixed any issues that their software had with SP2. It's a terrible idea to avoid installing service packs.

NetRyder said:
Funny how people still crib about it, eh? :)
If you have a particular application that doesn't work with SP2, you should really contact the software vendor and let them know. Almost every company that cares about their customers has already fixed any issues that their software had with SP2. It's a terrible idea to avoid installing service packs.

no he needs sp2 to install so he can run a wireless adapter...he wants sp2 installed

Tuffgong4 said:
no he needs sp2 to install so he can run a wireless adapter...he wants sp2 installed
Yeah, and that's a good decision. Service Packs are not meant to be optional. :)
I was just responding to LeeJend's comment about not installing SP2.

What has SP2 got to do with wireless adapters? I've been using them with SP1 for 9 months.

PS I have SP2 on 2 of 3 machines and they have become "tempermental" since I installed it. SP2 is not getting anywhere near my gaming machine.

I would try a sfc /scannow before trying the installation, that should fix any missing system files that are needed.

he doesn't have either installed...something got screwed up on the computer...should he go sp1 to sp2???

I thought sp2 had sp1 in it already

SP2 is a cumulative service pack. You don't need to install SP1 first.

found the sp1 download...but thanks for looking...

I'm going to have him download the full installer of sp2 tomorrow instead of going to windows update.

I'm hoping that helps him and will hopefully have more info to post tomorrow

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back