windows xpsp2 not installing

NetRyder said:
Actually, the only difference between SP1 and SP1a is that 1a removed the MS JVM from the system. ;)
Darn you beat me to it. :p Also if the system is going to have a net connection it would be silly to not install SP2. Also do as j79zlr said and try the System File Checker as perhaps something got corrupted. Also you mentioned maybe a virus? Have him check out housecall (or something similiar) and scan his computer to make sure.

I would make sure to backup anything important before you do anymore (with install troubles thats happening) just to be safe.

That problem I've seen with windows update and the catroot2 folder getting to large. It could be something else but the article below will be alot of help
(long but worth the read)

Method 3: rename the catroot2 folder I have had to do on alot of systems for friends. (mine once)

Good luck Microsoft

j79zlr said:
I would try a sfc /scannow before trying the installation, that should fix any missing system files that are needed.

little more explanation of that please?

We didn't have a chance to get to computer yesterday but he said he should have time to try a few things today, so I will keep up the information

Tuffgong4 said:
little more explanation of that please?

We didn't have a chance to get to computer yesterday but he said he should have time to try a few things today, so I will keep up the information
Here is a shot @ it. Well "sfc" stand for "System File Checker". It will basically check that all system files are not corrupted or missing. If it finds something needing replacing it may ask for the XP CD so have it handy. The "/scannow" part does just that, scans now. :p You can do "/help" and get a list of options I believe, such as have it check on next boot or such.

k cool thanks for the explanation. though it's an hp and it uses a system cache for the reformatting and stuff...I will see what he can do...he's been busy so I hope he has time tonite

thanks everyone again in the mean time

You have probably done this already but I did not see it mentioned before in this thread. I got the SP2 disk from MS and tried to install but it would stop halfway through the install, this happened everytime, I then went to msconfig and disabled all my start up progs, shut down and restarted. My SP2 disk then installed without any problems. Afterwards I returned to mscongig and enabled the programmes I wanted.

Tuffgong4 said:
k cool thanks for the explanation. though it's an hp and it uses a system cache for the reformatting and stuff...I will see what he can do...he's been busy so I hope he has time tonite

thanks everyone again in the mean time
i found your problem, its an hp :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back