Windows xp upgrade network problem

R

redeye

I've had a good look through the site and have not found anything that has fixed my problem, so here goes..

I've just upgraded to win xp pro from win me. Before I upgraded to XP I had no problems with internet sharing/ file sharing but since upgrading my pc just refuses to give itself the correct ip address (that it should have if it was on a network +sharing a i-net connection), so I can't connect to the internet, and cannot file/ printer share. I've got "client for microsoft networks" installed properly, drivers updated, card working ok in system etc etc.

I've tried running the wizards, not running the wizards, re-installing the network card, setting ip address's manually, checked the router settings. Think I'm nearly out of options to try!

I've got a Linksys router + Linksys LNE100TX network card.

Thanks for any help.

I had a similar issue , for some reason it kept deleting the gateway IP and giving itself 0.0.0.0 as an IP !

I tried everything, reinstalled TCP/IP etc

in the end i formatted and all worked fine

Are you logging into a domain or workgroup , always join the workgroup first, then wehn all is good join the domain...

Makes a big difference doing it that way in XP

Fixing Sharing but with other probs

Ok way around ur probs is to...

1. Asign a server with the i.p 192.168.0.1
2. assign all work stations after that an i.p of 192.168.0.xx (xx = 2-32)

restart the computers and all should be fine as long as they are all on the same domain.

One more prob I have found though is that some times the shared files/folders tend to lock up explorer on the remot computers (bummer) dunno a way around this if any one else does gimme a shout.:cool:

At the moment I can't log on to a workgroup or anything as I can't even ping each pc from the xp machine. Will give your suggestions as go... if it doesn't work, then I think a re-format will have to do :)!

Thnks for the ideas!

Still no luck after that.. Think I'll go for a format.. least I've got everything backed up!

Right, here's where I'm at.

I've re-installed win xp from scratch.. All cables are connected properly. The second pc that I run on the network (this laptop) is running me and works fine.

When i go to ipconfig /all I get the following:

Description: Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address: 00-04-5a-62-71-01
dhcp Enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:
DHCP Address: 255.255.255.255

So that's blatently wrong, so if I then run the Network connection wizard and say I'm connected to a hub which shares an internet connection (actually i use a router) I then get this:

Description: Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address: 00-04-5a-62-71-01
dhcp Enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 169.254.99.1
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:
DHCP Address: 255.255.0.0

Again this is wrong as the ip address should be 192.168.1.xx, and the dhcp address: 255.255.255.0

So I try something else in the network connection wizard, I try manually setting an ip address.. and I get the same as above. The internet does not work, I can't ping any pc on the network from the xp machine, I can't view any other pc in the network neighbourhood area, I've got the workgroup names correct.

I log into the router and get the following in the DHCP active ip table:

VAIO 192.168.1.100 08-00-46-2B-7D-89
MAXIMELLIAN 192.168.1.102 00-02-E3-0A-B3-AA

My xp machine is called main and is not listed, so nothing is getting through to the router, so it must be the tcp/ip settings or my pc that is the problem!

Now this is really starting to annoy me!! I've even bought a new network card (the linksys one) and it still won't work.

Please any futher thoughts before I do the customary chuck the pc out the window???

Thanks!!

If I am not too late to this....

Check the DHCP client table in the Linksys Router to see if any unrecognized IP address. If so... Change the IP address of the Linksys Router. Then do the "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew." All should be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back