Windows XP: System keeps shutting down despite power settings

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

My friends running a dedicated Windows XP machine with Filemaker Pro on it. I was trying to get all of the information possible from him, but until then I'll give you what I know. I had him go over the power settings, confirming that hibernate was disabled and that the computer was set to always be on. Unfortunately, after awhile the computer still keeps shutting down.

I think this may be due to having multiple users on the system, however he wasn't able to get that information to me. Is there a way to make sure that the power settings are set on the PC globally? Would the power settings not take affect until they were set on all users? They really don't even login to the PC when it goes down, just power it on.

Thanks!

Is he running an antivirus or does he have windows update set to automatic? Those are two main reasons why it would shut down ...

WU is set to Automatic I think, but doesn't it restart, not just shut down with the light flashing? I believe the light is flashing, which is hibernate me thinks.

There are times that it will shut it down and not reboot it ...

Unknown Michael, I think he goes past it and realizes it's off. It's a stock dell, so unless they improperly seated the HSF, I'm not sure. It's also not super active...

WU is set to Automatic I think, but doesn't it restart, not just shut down with the light flashing? I believe the light is flashing, which is hibernate me thinks.
Sounds like Standby to me, which is different from Hibernation.There's a setting in Display Properties, and depending on the mainboard there may be Standby settings in the BIOS.

What model Dell? I have seen this happen with some Dell's and they were having trouble with there power supply's over heating

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back