Windows XP SP2

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
I just installed this at work on two Dell's and omfg, it almost cost me my job, one of them kept on going to blue screen with error msg to do with idechnrr.sys then it kept on rebooting the machine, eventually i got it fixed my uninstalling the sp2 hotfixes, but this just totally fecked the machine up so i had to do a repair which praise the lord worked, what the hell is with SP2, the second machine wouldn't allow me to open excel.

Anyone else had these kinda problems.... MY machine at work has sp2 on it but its perfectly fine so does my home machine, by the way all work ones are xp pro and my comp and home is home edition.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

i just had the same problem with SP2. i had no other options since all restore points are useless so had to reinstall OS. i tried new install+SP2 but after a while it crashes (reboots or blue screen), it says that there is a driver that made this. i had tried install OS then softwares ... then SP2 then the same problems, it crashes. now i am reinstalling the OS again BUT will not do upgrade because before there was not problem. i guess microsoft did not work with the other driver makers - i hope they did (?) -- anyways, it crashes my pc so i won't upgrade to SP2...

Dell has made it known that SP2 and their boxes don't get along and they are putting it all on M$ (this is what I get from their forums anyways). I would contact Dell and see if they have any plans to fix this issue with their hardware.

Dell hardware always has issues with software from microsoft. Dell usually gets custom builds from MS for their "custom" hardware.

Your best bet is to not use Dell PC's.

Oh, please...way to go misguiding people with personal opinions
rolleyes.gif

My own notebook is an Inspiron 5100 that's a year and a half old. My dad has a two month old 700m, and a very old 5000e (P3 system). There are also a couple of Dimension desktops at his workplace. All of them have either XP Pro or Home and they all run beautifully with SP2 installed.

If that's not enough, take a look at every Optiplex machine in our university's SEASnet labs. They're all running XP SP2 as well.

Net's got a point. Not all dells are bad. I've got an Inspiron 5100, an old dell XPS600 and there are no problems with either of those.

I've nowt against Dell laptops/notebooks or dell peripherals. But Dell PCs are always a problem.

Having said that with the huge quantities Dell must ship I may just be unlucky in getting bad eggs. However, having not yet ever having recieved or used a Dell PC that hasnt had issues with windows and its hardware, I feel I have enough of an experience to make the claim I stated in my previous post.

I will not however stop a person from buying dell stuff, however there are plenty of manufactures out there small and large that can handle orders just as large as dell, with better quality parts then dell, better service than dell, less problems with compatibility than dell.

I try not to speak hot air and I'm certainly not about to misguide peopleand I'm not about to go giving out another persons opinioin in a post of mine either.

Best bet in my opinion is to go to the manufactures site and look for any driver or bios updates before applying SP2 or any service pack for that matter.
Reason:
They may have issued new drivers, bios or may have info on potential problems you may encounter with your particular model.

LordOfLA said:
I've nowt against Dell laptops/notebooks or dell peripherals. But Dell PCs are always a problem.

Having said that with the huge quantities Dell must ship I may just be unlucky in getting bad eggs. However, having not yet ever having recieved or used a Dell PC that hasnt had issues with windows and its hardware, I feel I have enough of an experience to make the claim I stated in my previous post.

I will not however stop a person from buying dell stuff, however there are plenty of manufactures out there small and large that can handle orders just as large as dell, with better quality parts then dell, better service than dell, less problems with compatibility than dell.

I try not to speak hot air and I'm certainly not about to misguide peopleand I'm not about to go giving out another persons opinioin in a post of mine either.
I'm sorry if my tone in the previous post was a little on the harsh side. =\
I've just had too many important things to do this week, and I can't find the time to finish them all. Just pretty jittery right now...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back