Windows XP SP2 uxtheme.dll

hrithikrohan

Super Nerd
Hey, I just downloaded and installed the Windows XP SP2 Update of Microsoft's website. So I am assuming this is the new full version of the deal. However, as expected the themes do not work. I guess the uxtheme.dll is different for SP2. Does anyone know of a patch that can fix it so that I can use themes. The usual theme Luna is pretty boring and pathetic. Thanks for the help. :)

Found what I was looking for...

Heh. Yeah, after I posted this message. I went onto NeoWin and found their UXTheme Multi-Path and was able to install it and regain the themes ability. So here, let me give you the link...

NeoWin UXTheme Multi-Patcher 2.0

Here are the specs just in case anyone wants to know...

The Neowin UXTheme Multi Patcher allows you to use any 3rd party msstyle theme on Windows XP/SP1/SP2 or Windows Server 2003 (with Themes enabled) by patching the uxtheme.dll (dynamic link library).

* ChangesFixed replacing system file problems for other possibly ways to install Windows XP (it should work fine as replacer now)
* Supported Windows XP (English) with Service Pack 2 (build 2180)
* Updated program icon
* Fixed Service Pack checking mistake for Windows XP Gold (Unable to run patch) and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (Can detect only final release)

the problem with uxtheme.dll in XP SP-2

XP-sp2 Problem with uxtheme.dll

The uxtheme.dll you download must be for Windows XP SP-2, (the SP-1 one won't work) well at lest for me it didin't.

The problem is that XP will overwrite the file with a backup of the original as soon as a system file is modified.

Some people find it won't work because there is a hidden file that windows keeps using. follow the instructions below correctly and you will have no problems.

If you still find it's not working, you maybe have two uxtheme.dll files in the system32 folder, or somewhere else on your computer. do a search to find out. (I have seen this on another computer)
........................................................................................................

1. Goto Control Panel/Folder Options/View Tab and enable "Hidden files & Folders" then remove the tick from "Hide protected operation system files" just below.

2. Delete uxtheme.dll from C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

3: If you upgraded to SP-2 from a disc, you will also have to delete the uxtheme.dll file from here: C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

4. Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.dll.old in C:\WINDOWS\system32

5. Have new uxtheme.dll ready in another folder, "drag & drop it into the System32 folder"

6. Modify the properties of the new file to be "READ ONLY" (so XP cant get its grubby hands on it)

7. Move new Read Only file to C:\WINDOWS\system32

8: You will get a "System File Protection" box poping up, just click cancel and you wont see it again.

9. Reboot

10: Delete "uxtheme.dll.old" file from "C:\WINDOWS\system32" folder.

Done.

Hope this helps
Mac

mac1, your guide certainly works, but the beauty of the multi-patcher is that it won't allow XP File Protection to replace the DLL with the original... so long as you use the patcher correctly. It's much more convenient for people who are intimidated by messing with system files.

Hey Rohan.
wink.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back