Windows XP slowdown...

D

donkey

I'm unsure if this is the correct area for this post. Sorry if it's not.

I got XP about a month ago. My specs are AMD 1800, 512MB DDRAM, Geforce 4, so my system is fairly fast.

The first 2 weeks I had the system, I had I think 2 games installed and it was running fine. I then installed around 10 games from cds and then a massive slowdown on windows occured.

I clicked an application and 5-10 mins later it would open. When I shut down the computer it wouldn't. It would just be normal and then 10-15 mins later it shut down.

I uninstalled most of the games but the problem was still there. I then reinstalled Windows XP and went to the Microsoft site and downloaded all the XP updates (48MB all up).

After this, windows was running fine. Normal speed but then I reinstalled the game I previously deleted and now it's slow again.

I'm assuming that it might be something to do with the games but some are fine as it worked before when I had a few games installed.

Can anyone explain what is wrong here? I can't seem to fix this and I'd like to get my computer back to normal. Do some games slow Windows down or something.

Any help would be appreaciated.

is the game you installed XP compatible? if not you can install or run it in 95, 98, NT, or 2000 compatibility mode..

to do this right click over the setup.exe file on the cd before install > properties > compatibility

you can do this to the game's shortcut after install as well.. hopefully that will help..

I actually havent tried this but will now. I still don't fully understand how it might be able to fix it though.

Even if it runs as it thinks it's Win95/98, wouldn't it still slow XP down or does XP just turn into Win95/98 for that game?

(Sorry if that made no sense)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back