Windows XP shuts down

W

wezman2k

hey guys. this problem has been going on ever since i installed XP. I have an emachines E Tower 466id with 192 meg of ram. i got a 60GB hard rive about a month ago. every now and then windows xp will shut down all by itself, regardless of what i'm doing. it doesn't save the settings or anything it will just turn off and go back the the emachines screen and will be just like i restarted. i don't think it has a problem with the hard drive because i had XP installed on my previous HD and it did the same thing. i'd really like to know what is up. thanks

try this:
Right click my computer\properties\advanced\startup & recovery. Untick 'automatic restart.

i just tried it so i'll have to see. thank god for xp-erience form! so many smart nerds on here!!! ( no offense! )

Yeah! All people who sign up for the forums are LOSERS!!!

that didn't work. now it just gives a message about making sure i have all my bios updates and that some driver is causing this and needs to be disabled. but i dunno which driver it is

go into administrative tools and check the event log for reported errors.. hopefully it has recorded the event causing this problem...

the message is too long to type out. and there are many different logs in the viewer. i have found that this shutdown is gauranteed to happen well updating the CS Net servers. i'm running 1.5.

the message includes the driver "Stop: Netmotcm.sys" and some jibberish. the netmotcm.sys is the driver used for my cable modem and is updated, so i dunno why that would be causing the problem. should i try reinstalling the cable modem with the update driver and not from the disk?

yep, could start with that. At least its not a hardware problem thats gona cost you tons to fix, just mess with it till it stops.

it worked fine the first two times, but then of course it messed up again. maybe i should just use the old driver?

by the way i have a Motorola SurfBoard SB4100 Cable Modem

Go here for uninstall/installation procedures. Go here to get your most up-to-date drivers.

A USB device AND on an Emachine, dude, i feel for you - USB alone has caused major heartache for a few folks. Make sure you have all of Windows update hotfixes installed... try to locate your most current bios version, and make sure your motherboard drivers are as up-to-date as they can be. I'm not going to get more involved then this because these damn prefab systems are a pain in the butt to locate stuff for. Emachine *me shudders*.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back