Windows XP Professional

Guybrush

Village Idiot
I currently use Windows XP Home on my existing computer and I will soon be buying a new computer. I have no or very few problems running games or applications in XP Home and I was wandering if there are more problems running games or applications within XP Pro?

I have a works laptop with Pro on it and would like to network the two together. Someone has told me correctly or incorrectly that it is only possible with XP Pro on both machines! :confused:

Someone has told me correctly or incorrectly that it is only possible with XP Pro on both machines!

Are you saying they told you that you can only have a network between the 2 computers if they are both XP Pro? That's what it seems like you're saying. But that's not true, not at all. I have 4 computers at my house. My own personal computer, my wife's computer, my father-in-law's computer, and then my spare computer that I use as a 'server.' The two dell's (wife & father-in-laws) are XP Home, while mine and my spare are XP Pro, and I don't have a problem whatsoever.

As far as I know, if you have a problem with a program on one edition, you may have the same problem on the other. I can't remember much of the differences between the 2, but I don't recall it being so much different that programs will only work on one edition and not the other, ya know? Common sense tells me that.

There is no actual technological difference between XP Home and Pro, both are Windows NT 5.1. The main difference is that Pro is meant to be used in coorperate/business networks, that why you can't connect to a Windows Domain using Home. More differences are found in the networking capabilities. Both have networking services, except Pro has more advanced ones. And then there is of course IIS 5.
Games and apps that runs perfectly in Home, should also work perfectly in Pro. There are very few applications that work in Pro, but not in Home, but they are mostly used in coorperate networks, so that is no problem for them.
That someone who told you that Pro and Home can't be networked together is a liar and needs to be destroyed immediately :p. In other words, there should be no problem connecting Pro and Home machines in a network.

don't know about the games but you can network both the computers up no problem...the only problem is having a computer running Home connecting to a really big network but not sure if those problems were hashed out a long time ago...you will have no problem setting up a network in your house or apt with 1 using Home and 1 using pro

I have PRO Home and ME networked together without any problems at all. Also I have never ran into problems with programs between the two XP machines.

Many thanks one and all. I think I will stick to XP Home edition.

Whilst I am here how do I wipe my hdd and reinstall XP Home before I sell it?

If you wanted, just uninstall everything and delete your data -- and pop in the XP home disc and reinstall -- that's if you have the 'upgrade' version.

If you have a full version of XP, you could just format the drive and boot up with the cd to install.

XP Home is crippled in its networking ability but it is not impossible. It only allows "simple file sharing" where all shares are accessable by everyone, it does use user level access like Pro where share permissions are determined by user name. IMHO I would not use XP home for anything, but that is because I like the security and networking abilities in PRO.

devynal said:
If you wanted, just uninstall everything and delete your data -- and pop in the XP home disc and reinstall -- that's if you have the 'upgrade' version.

If you have a full version of XP, you could just format the drive and boot up with the cd to install.

You can boot to the CD and format the drive with the upgrade version. It will detect the previous OS and continue the same as the full version.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back