Windows XP Professional with SP2 Stable Build

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Something I have been wanting to do, and will need to do sooner rather than later is to configure a "STABLE" Windows XP Professional Environment. This project, while somewhat tedious initially, can be a bit fun once I get things working the way they need to. I am posting in this section because I will be "tweaking" the environment so to speak, but can't go too crazy because it needs to be used in a wide scale of production environments.

As I progress, I will update the main post with random comments as updates are warranted. I plan on giving a similar go to a Server/Domain setup, which should also be fun.

Please only positive and constructive posts/thoughts.

All I have set in stone atm is that I will have XP Pro with SP2 integrated and all current updates applied.
More to come!

Woo for procrastination!

I have just finished building my installation CD including un-attended installation options and all current critical updates.

The only critical update I have choosen not to install is the Malicious Software Tool, I don't see a point in having that in new builds really.

Next I'm going to look for some tweaks that have beneficial performance enhancements to the OS itself.

You should include all updates. You can even include WMP10/11 and IE7B3.

Remember - wide area of production so at least for now, WMP11 and IE7B3 are out.

After I get the CD verified as working with all hotfixes I'm going to add things like .NET and WMP10 though.

I know some people who made unattended discs and putting themselves out of a job. Hope you don't have short-sighted employers like that, though ;)

It's a fun project, though. It's amazing to have a Windows XP that's just the way you like it, including registry tweaks.

I know some people who made unattended discs and putting themselves out of a job. Hope you don't have short-sighted employers like that, though ;)

It's a fun project, though. It's amazing to have a Windows XP that's just the way you like it, including registry tweaks.

Wa? how?

^ Yes. Takes a bit to configure the whole thing properly but once you've got a disc it's very useful.

Can't believe I have wanted to do this since July - oh well :(

I have been working on it here and there between a bunch of other things, and ran into a very annoying problem that I can't seem to find out. I assume it's related to the fact I'm modifying certain files during the slipstream/build, but I always get prompted to run a SFC after the first couple of boots, and sometimes when applying Windows Updates.

Is this common? What gives? I know I can disable SFC, but I don't want to. Any advice on how I could probably fix this going forward would be appreciated :)

I have never had problems with my discs. I make them for everything from OEM/Home builds to Windows 2000 builds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back