Windows Xp Problem

brocher4

OSNN Junior Addict
The problem being that all executable files, including shortcuts aren't being reconised by windows.

If i click on a shortcut to open a programs a pop up appears i:e

Windows cannot open this file:

Internet Explorer.ink

To open this file, to open this file windows needs to know which program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.

What do you want to do?

Use the web service to find the appropriate program
Select the program for a list

This also applies to all .exe files hence i cannot open anything!! Only gained access to IE by clicking on the option (use the web service to find appropriate program) found in my error message

Any help/advice is much appreciated

Last edited:
Try restarting, windows sometimes has a funny turn with mouse buttons etc, but this is VERY likely to be a virus. Get some virus software and scan thoroughly before you do anything else. If it's all clear, let us know.

Try this if you don't have any anti-virus installed. If you already have software, make sure it's fully up to date before you scan.

I have restarted a few times but have the same problem, i do have AVG Anti-Virus Free edition installed but i will try housecall just now

Sounds like one of the old W32. variants. Ray already hit on this, but, you sure it's updated?

My friend's machine was hit with the same problem. Was so bad that he couldn't even run a virus scan. In the end, he had to transfer his files to another machine and format his drive.

Run a system file check (Start, run, sfc /scannow) and post a hijack this log.

You might be able to do a system restore to when it was working, but it will probably just come up with the same problem. Try it in safe mode, see if you can get to system restore that way.

Hipster Doofus said:
If it is a recent problem try doing a system restore.

Unable to do a system restore as my computer doesn't recognise .exe files therfore won't load them

Mastershakes said:
Run a system file check (Start, run, sfc /scannow) and post a hijack this log.

Also tried but when i click on in "run" i get the same error as seen in my first post, but obviously for sfc.exe

ThePatriot said:
Sounds like one of the old W32. variants. Ray already hit on this, but, you sure it's updated?

My last anti-virus update was 29th July. I have tried Trend Micro Housecall, that didn't detect any viruses :cry:

If you have lost the ability for Windows to handle an .exe file, it is definitely because of a virus. I would like to note that viruses of this severity, even though they are cleanable and recoverable, tend to cause serious damage. Once you repair the files necessary, I would recommend considering a format. Here is how you would fix the files you need...

Visit this page..

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Download the appropriate .reg files for .EXE and .LNK

If you are unfamiliar, all you have to do is extract the files from the .zip, and then double-click on the .reg file. After doing both, reboot the PC. This should allow you to run programs.

I STRONGLY recommend the FIRST thing you do is update Windows and your AV protection, followed by a scan.

Good luck.

i remember this happening a long time ago.
the path: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command
was messed up.

does anyone know how to write a reg file to make sure that value is: "%1" %*
?

you beat me too it!

:D

kcnychief said:
If you have lost the ability for Windows to handle an .exe file, it is definitely because of a virus. I would like to note that viruses of this severity, even though they are cleanable and recoverable, tend to cause serious damage. Once you repair the files necessary, I would recommend considering a format. Here is how you would fix the files you need...

Visit this page..

If you are unfamiliar, all you have to do is extract the files from the .zip, and then double-click on the .reg file. After doing both, reboot the PC. This should allow you to run programs.

I STRONGLY recommend the FIRST thing you do is update Windows and your AV protection, followed by a scan.

Good luck.

brocher4 said:
Unable to do a system restore as my computer doesn't recognise .exe files therfore won't load them

Have you tried running safe mode by pressing F8 when windows loads? It's been years since I've used it but I seem to remember a system restore prompt automatically coming up. Perhaps you could try that, it's worth a shot.

jimi_81 said:
you beat me too it!

:D

Hmm, that means you are buying me a lap dance at my bachelor party, right?

jimi_81 said:
i remember this happening a long time ago.
the path: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command
was messed up.

does anyone know how to write a reg file to make sure that value is: "%1" %*
?

All you would really have to do is change it in the registry to the way you want it, and then export that key. VOILA, .reg file created :)

kcnychief said:

Visit this page..

Good luck.

Just tried the .EXE File Association Fix and hasn't worked :cry:

I guess there is no way now to make any backups if im going to have to re install windows??

brocher4 said:
Just tried the .EXE File Association Fix and hasn't worked :cry:

I guess there is no way now to make any backups if im going to have to re install windows??

did you reboot after applying changes? Also, can you verify the changes were written to the registry? You might be lowered to read-only access to it...

did you try resetting the web settings ? I was just having something like this wrong on my pc. Not this bad, it was doing it with a couple of applications. I reset the websettings : control panel/internet options/programs : then rebooted, it was fine after that ..

I'm not sure if it will help you, but it might help. I frankly don't believe you have a virus. Sounds like someone got into your file associations and was playing around with them ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back