Windows XP Partitions

-seek-

OSNN Addict
Hi, i was wanding if there is some sort of a limit to the size of partition in WIndows XP. I just bought a Maxtor 300gb HD and it shows up in the BIOS as 300bg but in windows comptuer management its at "128.00 GB"????

so do i have to split my new hard drive to get the full use or what?

BTW it is a S-ATA, and is the second in my sys. :)

-thank you very much

I've heard a lot of people with the same issue regarding large SATA drives and windows. I haven't used one myself as my board doesn't support it but if you do a search in this forum, I'm sure you'll find what you wanted to know.

i havent felt this stuck with my computer eve.. i look everywhere but the only place that says its 300GB is in the BIOS... AHHH!

What XP are you running. Original? SP1? SP2?

Only Windows 2000 SP3 upward and Windows XP SP1 upward supports partitions larger than 137gb but not by default. You have to make a very minor change to the registry.

Microsoft

Yours says 128g but what the hey.....it's close. :D

Edit//Update info. :D

Odd, because I just built a new rig with a 250GB SATA HD and Windows XP Pro SP2 detected it correctly. Maybe SP2 corrected that problem?

sp1+ support drives larger than 130GB as they enable 48-bit LBA by default.

yup, i just found out this morning... i tried installing the drive on a fresh windows install (so there ya go). it's too bad i formatted the drive becuase i thought i could fix it that way. sure hope i can get my backup files back up and runnin' or I may alot of work on my hands.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back