Windows XP network slowness after joining a domain

N

nitro142

I have a Dell Dimension 4500 with Windows XP Professional. After joining a domain there is a noticable latency(or delay) when trying to access a network session that has been inactive for 5 minutes or more. This is especially noticable with Telnet. If you join a domain, then telnet to a Linux or UNIX system, and leave the session in the background for five minutes. When you bring it back up to type it will take anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds for the characters you typed to show up.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Try this :

Go into windows > system32 > drivers > etc

There you will see a file called hosts

Put the ip and the name of the Domain server in there.

Reboot.

Example:

10.0.0.1 servernamehere

Didn't seem to help. The pause in a telnet window is still there(this is where it is most noticable). But thank you, you are the first to reply and I have posted this question on several different forums :D

nitro, a little more4 info would be nice. i.e. what are you network settings? Is your DNS server on a W2k sever?

Ahh, I apologize. I am so aggrevated by the problem I forgot to include that ;)

We are using TCP/IP only with static IP addresses and the primary DNS is a Windows 2K server, but the secondary DNS is a UNIX DNS. Our Wins server is the same Windows 2K server as the Primary DNS server.

I have tried changing the DNS to all UNIX and ALL Windows 2K and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The only time the problem goes away is if I leave the Windows 2K domain and go back to a Workgroup.

Not sure what is going on. You should leave the primary DNS as the W2k DNS server. Active Directory works much better this way. Have you tried removing the computer from the Domain and rejoining? I have several Xp machines on a W2k doamin and do not experience any of this.

I have left the domain and rejoined. After leaving the domain the problem doesn't exist. As soon as I join the domain again the problem comes back.

Also this problem is occurring on all of our XP machines that are on our domain, which is about six so far.

It almost sounds like a domain policy doing it, but what policy would make something like this occur?

Also are you running in mixed mode or native mode?

running in mixed mode. We have NT 4, W2k, and XP.

Yeah, exactly how we are running. Do you have any policies being invoked?

Have you tried opening a telnet session to a UNIX or Linux machine and leaving it idle for five minutes? Then come back to it and hit a key(s).

Don't telnet into my *nix boxes. Always ssh. No issues noticed with this.

Ohh it also doesn't matter which telnet client I seem to use either. I have tried a few different ones to make sure.

I have not tried SSH though. I am going to try that right now and see what happens.

SSH does the same. It actually looks like any type of session with another machine that has been idle for a period of time does this, not just telnet. Telnet and SSH just seem to be the most noticable of them all.

I actually just captured the traffic between the two machines telnet session after it has been idle, then after it is working properly. You wouldn't believe the garbage it is sending to the Linux machine after it has been idle for over five minutes. I saved the two captures and compared them. I attached them if you want to look at them(normal telnet communications is on next post, 2nd page).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back